Guitar lesson for
Runnin' Down a Dream
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
E ––––0––––2––––3––––0––––0–––– B ––––0––––3––––0––––2––––1–––– G ––––1––––2––––0––––2––––0–––– D ––––2––––0––––0––––2––––2–––– A ––––2–––––––––2––––0––––3–––– E ––––0–––––––––3–––––––––––––– E D G A C
The main riff uses the notes below. I use my middle finger for the 7-6-5-3 fretted notes on the low E string. The hard part will be transitioning into the E-major chord while maintaining your rhythm in a strum… and likewise transitioning from that same strummy E-major back into this riff.
E –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––0–––– B –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––0–––– G –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––1–––– D –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––2–––– ...then, strum the E A –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––2–––– E –––0––7–––0––6–––0––5–––0––3–––0–––––0–––– E
A simpler version, though technically not what you hear on the album, is to play it like this. This is much, much easier to play while staying in time with your strumming (leading into the E-major chord).
E ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––0–––– B ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––0–––– G ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––1–––– D ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––2–––– ...then, strum the E A ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––2–––– E –––0––7–––0––6–––0––5–––0–––––0–––– E
Lyrics w/ chords
INTRO E (with riff) VERSE E It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down D E I had the radio on... I was driving E Trees flew by, me and Del were singing D E A little Runaway... I was flying CHORUS A G E E G A Yeah, running down a dream... that never would come to me D G E E G A Working on a mystery......... going wherever it leads A G E Running down a dream I felt so good like anything was possible I hit cruise control and rubbed my eyes The last three days the rain was unstoppable It was always cold, no sunshine [ chorus ] REFRAIN C D E Woo-hooo.... woo-hooo.... woo-hooo.... C D E Woo-hooo.... woo-hooo.... woo-hooo.... I rolled on as the sky grew dark I put the pedal down to make some time There's something good waiting down this road I'm picking up whatever's mine [ chorus ]
Let me know if you have questions. I hope this was helpful.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins (preview)
Feb 18, 2020 • Lesson #285
- Romeo and Julet by Dire Straits (Lesson #284)
Feb 15, 2020
- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by Righteous Brothers (Lesson #283)
Feb 9, 2020
- Wild World by Cat Stevens (Lesson #282)
Feb 1, 2020
- Memories by Maroon 5 (Lesson #281)
Jan 26, 2020
- "In Dreams"-inspired folksy warmup riff (Lesson #278)
Jan 22, 2020
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2020
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2020
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2020
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019