Guitar lesson for
Me and Bobby McGee
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Timestamps for this lesson:
- 0:00 Playthrough (partial)
- 0:57 Greeting
- 1:38 Chords needed
- 4:49 Strumming pattern
- 6:07 Changing keys from G to A
- 9:33 Playthrough (complete)
Note, the Janis Joplin version of this song changes key halfway through the song (from G to A). Chords for both keys are shown below.
E –––3––––1––––0––––2–––– ––3–– E –––0––––0––––2––––0–––– B –––0––––0––––1––––1–––– ––1–– B –––2––––2––––3––––3–––– G –––0––––0––––0––––2–––– ––0–– G –––2––––0––––2––––1–––– D –––0––––0––––2––––0–––– ––2–– D –––2––––2––––0––––2–––– A –––2––––2––––3––––––––– ––x–– A –––0––––0–––––––––2–––– E –––3––––3–––––––––––––– ––3–– E ––––––––––––––––––0–––– G G7 C D7 C/G A A7 D E7
Here’s the strum pattern I use for this song. On the first down strum I’ll emphasize the bassiest string of the chord (or, if not the single bass-most string, the bassiest 2-3 strings).
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D U D U
Lyrics w/ Chords
G Busted flap in Baton Rouge, waiting for a train G D7 When I was feelin’ near as faded as my jeans D7 Bobby thumbed a diesel down just before it rained D7 G C/G G That rode us all the way to New Orleans G I pulled my harpoon out of my dirty red bandana G G7 C I was playing soft while Bobby sang the blues, yeah C G Windshield wipers flappin' time, I... was holding Bobby’s hand in mine D7 We sang every song that driver knew C G Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose D7 G G7 And nothing, I mean nothing, hon, if it ain’t free C G And feeling good when was easy, lord, when he sang the blues D7 You know feeling good was good enough for me... D7 G ...Good enough for me and my Bobby McGee A From the Kentucky coal mines to the California sun A E7 Yeah, Bobby shared the secrets of my soul E7 Through all kinds of weather to everything we’ve done E7 A Yeah Bobby, baby, kept me from the cold A One day up near Salinas, lord, I let him slip away A A7 D He’s looking for that home and I hope he finds it D A But I’d trade all my tomorrows for one single yesterday E7 To be holdin’ Bobby’s body next to mine D A Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose E7 A A7 And nothing, that’s all that Bobby left me D A And feeling good when was easy, lord, when he sang the blues E7 And feeling good was good enough for me... hmmm... E7 A ...Good enough for me and my Bobby McGee
Let me know if you have questions. I hope this was helpful.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR • Play-along cover (Lesson #269)
Dec 7, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR • Full Lesson (Lesson #269)
Dec 6, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019
- "Gloria" by The Lumineers (Lesson #263)
Oct 24, 2019
- "I Walk The Line" intro riff by Johnny Cash (Lesson #262)
Oct 19, 2019
- "Lookin' Out My Back Door" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Lesson #261)
Oct 12, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns (Lesson #260)
Oct 6, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See" (Lesson #259)
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Lesson #258)
Sept 15, 2019
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello) (Lesson #257)
- "Plush" acoustic by Stone Temple Pilots (Lesson #256)
Sept 6, 2019