Guitar lesson for
On the Road Again
by Willie Nelson • Lesson #139
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
- 0:00 Greeting & lesson agenda
- 1:48 Chords needed
- 5:30 Strumming pattern
- 7:04 Verse & chorus progressions
Print-friendly version of this lesson
To download the print-friendly PDF I show in my video lesson, become a supporter on my Patreon page. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to PDFs of all my new & recent lessons (view a free sample & see list of all PDFs). Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Capo 4th fret to play with Willie
On this page, I’m teaching this song using chords in the key of C (which are easier to play than the key of E, which is what Willie uses). Add a capo on the 4th fret, using chords in C, to play with Willie. Otherwise, a capo isn’t needed.
Lyrics with chords
VERSE C E On the road again... just can't wait to get on the road again Dm The life I love is making music with my friends F G C And I can't wait to get on the road again C E On the road again... going places that I've never been Dm Seeing things that I may never see again F G C And I can't wait to get on the road again CHORUS F C On the road again... like a band of gypsies we go down highway F C We're the best of friends... insisting that the world keep turning our way G (silence chord) And our way... SOLO (use verse chords) CHORUS (repeat same chorus above) VERSE C E ...is on the road again just can't wait to get on the road again Dm The life I love is making music with my friends F G C And I can't wait to get on the road again
How to play the chords
Here’s the easiest way to play the chords. Of course, I’m showing a simplified F below (use a full F if you’re able to play it). You can also use an E7 and G7 if you wish - but these aren’t required.
E –––0–––1–––0–––––––3––– B –––1–––3–––0–––1–––0––– G –––0–––2–––1–––2–––0––– D –––2–––0–––2–––3–––0––– A –––3–––––––2–––3–––2––– E –––––––––––0–––––––3––– C Dm E F G
To keep things simple, I recommend all downstrums (4 per measure) with accents on the 2 and 4 counts. See my video lesson for some context here.
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D D D > >
From there, you could add some upstrums within this pattern – specifically in the final half.
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D D U D U > >
"On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again..." C . . . C . . . C . . . C . . . E . . . E . . . E . . . E . . . Dm . . . Dm . . . F . . . G . . . C . . . C . . .
"On the road again, like a band of gypsies we go down the highway..." F . . . F . . . F . . . F . . . C . . . C . . . F . . . F . . . F . . . F . . . C . . . C . . . G . . . G . . .
Thanks for reading! I hope this helped you. Questions? Comments? Requests? Let me know!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- House of the Rising Sun by The Animals (easy fingerstyle)
Mar 31, 2020 • Lesson #293
- New! Browse my lessons by category, genre, decade, and more
Mar 29, 2020 • Lesson #292
- Banded Clovis by Tyler Childers
Mar 22, 2020 • Lesson #291
- Syncopation & Sus Chords
Mar 20, 2020 • Lesson #289
- Walk-down exercise inspired by the Turnpike Troubadours
Mar 15, 2020 • Lesson #290
- Patience by Guns N' Roses
Mar 12, 2020 • Lesson #288
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins (strummy play-along cover)
Feb 29, 2020 • Lesson #287
- Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond (play-along cover)
Feb 28, 2020 • Lesson #286
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
Feb 22, 2020 • Lesson #285
- Romeo and Julet by Dire Straits (Lesson #284)
Feb 15, 2020
- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by Righteous Brothers (Lesson #283)
Feb 9, 2020
- Wild World by Cat Stevens (Lesson #282)
Feb 1, 2020
- Memories by Maroon 5 (Lesson #281)
Jan 26, 2020
- "In Dreams"-inspired folksy warmup riff (Lesson #278)
Jan 22, 2020
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2020
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2020
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2020
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019