Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Lyrics w/ chords
* capo 2nd fret INTRO E ––0––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E ––0––|––––––––––––––– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––0––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– x1 G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– x1 G ––2––|––2–2––2–2––2–– x2 D ––2––|––––––––––––––– D ––0––|––––––––––––––– D ––3––|––––––––––––––– A ––3––|––––––––––––––– A ––2––|––––––––––––––– A –––––|––––––––––––––– E –––––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E –––––|––––––––––––––– C G Fmaj7 VERSE C Would you believe me now... G Fmaj7 If I told you I got caught up in a wave, almost gave it away C Would you hear me out... G Fmaj7 If I told you I was terrified for days, thought I was gonna break PRE-CHORUS Am G Oh, I couldn't stop it, tried to slow it all down Fmaj7 Crying in the bathroom, had to figure it out Am G Fmaj7 With everyone around me saying, "You must be so happy now" CHORUS C G Oh, if you keep reaching out, then I'll keep coming back Fmaj7 And if you're gone for good, then I'm okay with that Am G Em Fmaj7 ...If you leave the light on, then I'll leave the light on C And do you believe me now G Fmaj7 That I always had the best intentions, babe? Always wanted to stay... C Can you feel me now G Fmaj7 That I'm vulnerable in oh-so many ways? Oh, and I'll never change Am G Oh, I couldn't stop it, tried to figure it out Fmaj7 But everything kept moving, and the noise got too loud Am G With everyone around me saying, "you should be so happy now" [chorus] Am G Fadd9 ...Oh, leave the light on Am G Fadd9 ...Oh, would you leave the light on [chorus]
Chord shapes used
E –––0––––3––––0––––0––––0––– B –––1––––3––––1––––1––––0––– G –––0––––0––––2––––2––––0––– D –––2––––0––––3––––2––––2––– A –––3––––2–––––––––0––––2––– E ––––––––3––––––––––––––0––– C G Fmaj7 Am Em
Intro tab, easiest version
The easiest way to approach this is to put your hands in the chord shapes below, and simply remove & add your left index finger to the 1st fret of the 2nd string.
E ––0––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E ––0––|––––––––––––––– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––0––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– <== left index finger G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– G ––2––|––2–2––2–2––2–– used on this string for D ––2––|––––––––––––––– D ––0––|––––––––––––––– D ––3––|––––––––––––––– the on/off melody note A ––3––|––––––––––––––– A ––2––|––––––––––––––– A –––––|––––––––––––––– on all 3 chords E –––––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E –––––|––––––––––––––– C G Fmaj7
Intro tab, advanced
Here’s the full tab, with the pulsing bass notes.
E ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– B –––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0–––––––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0–––––––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0–––––––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0––––– G –––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0–––––––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0–––––––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0–––––––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0––––– D ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– A –3–––––––––––3–––––––3–––––––3––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– E –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––3–––––––––––3–––––––3–––––––3–––1–––––––––––1–––––––1–––––––1–––1–––––––––––1–––––––1–––––––1––– C G Fmaj7 Fmaj7 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a
Here’s the timing chart I used when training my fingers to play their parts independently. I practice this by rhythmically knocking my right-hand thumb and index/middle fingers against a table (or steering wheel, or my pants, etc) until I could do the pattern without thinking about it. Then, I translated it to guitar (with my left hand doing the fretting and chord changes). It was hard, but I got it. If you want to learn this, have patience!
Melody rhythm => | O 0 O O 0 | O = index finger on | 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a | 0 = index finger off Thumb rhythm => | x x x x |
Best videos of this song
This is my favorite. Solo acoustic guitar, all shot in one live take, her friends singing the chorus as a group. Released the week before her first album goes out into the world. So happy for her.
There’s also her SNL performance which I’ll include for fun. Less acoustic, but still good I think:
And finally, here’s the Spotify Singles version of this song, which has a great acoustic vibe:
Thanks for reading! I hope this helped you.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Banded Clovis by Tyler Childers
Mar 22, 2020 • Lesson #291
- Syncopation & Sus Chords
Mar 20, 2020 • Lesson #289
- Walk-down exercise inspired by the Turnpike Troubadours
Mar 15, 2020 • Lesson #290
- Patience by Guns N' Roses
Mar 12, 2020 • Lesson #288
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins (strummy play-along cover)
Feb 29, 2020 • Lesson #287
- Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond (play-along cover)
Feb 28, 2020 • Lesson #286
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
Feb 22, 2020 • Lesson #285
- Romeo and Julet by Dire Straits (Lesson #284)
Feb 15, 2020
- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by Righteous Brothers (Lesson #283)
Feb 9, 2020
- Wild World by Cat Stevens (Lesson #282)
Feb 1, 2020
- Memories by Maroon 5 (Lesson #281)
Jan 26, 2020
- "In Dreams"-inspired folksy warmup riff (Lesson #278)
Jan 22, 2020
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2020
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2020
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2020
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019