Warm Up Exercise
Colter Wall's Sleeping on the Blacktop intro riff
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this lesson I’ll show how to play the outlaw country fingerstyle groove of “Sleeping on the Blacktop” by Colter Wall. This is a straightforward, stripped down, and raw sequence that cycles between two sections: (1) a subdued repeating walk-down which builds up tension; and (2) an unleashed chorus-like drop that releases all the energy. I’ll teach you the chords (with tabs), explain the Travis picking technique, and talk through how to practice the different phrases heard throughout this sequence. This makes for a great warmup exercise, even if you’re not familiar with Colter Wall or this song in its full form.
- 0:00 Playthrough & overview
- 2:13 Chord shapes needed
- 6:04 Part 1: Walk down
- 9:21 Part 2: Main riff
- 16:21 Farewell
Capo and tuning notes
Take note that I’m playing this in standard tuning and without a capo. Colter Wall plays this song with a capo on the 2nd fret while tuned down one whole step… but I’m going to keep it straightforward and simple for now. If you’d like to eventually see a full lesson for this entire song, let me know… I might get to it one day. In the meanwhile, I trust this will do you good. Best of luck!
Other suggested videos
Here’s a great solo acoustic performance by Colter Wall – I find these sorts of clips super helpful just to watch how he plays it.
Here’s a clip from Hell or High Water, a really great 2016 movie that uses the album verison of this song. I can’t recommend this movie enough! Good stuff.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
Feb 22, 2020 • Lesson #285
- Romeo and Julet by Dire Straits (Lesson #284)
Feb 15, 2020
- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by Righteous Brothers (Lesson #283)
Feb 9, 2020
- Wild World by Cat Stevens (Lesson #282)
Feb 1, 2020
- Memories by Maroon 5 (Lesson #281)
Jan 26, 2020
- "In Dreams"-inspired folksy warmup riff (Lesson #278)
Jan 22, 2020
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2020
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2020
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2020
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019