Guitar lesson for
My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Hey friends! In this lesson I’ll teach you how to play the fingerstyle introduction to “My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight” as covered by John Prine. I’ll teach you the three chords (including the variations needed for each), explain the alternating bass notes your right thumb will need to play, talk about the hammer-ons you’ll add, and break down the fingerstyle one phrase at a time. This one took me a few weeks to get comfortable with, but patience and practice paid off – and I’m excited to share these notes with you.
- 0:00 Playthrough & lesson overview
- 1:34 Chord shapes needed
- 7:08 Right thumb alternating bass notes
- 9:18 Adding left-hand hammer-ons
- 12:10 Tip: break it into phrases!
- 13:58 Melody, part 1 & 2
- 19:12 Melody, parts 3 & 4
- 21:50 Farewell
If you’d like to see a lesson for the full song, please let me know – I’d like to get to it one day. Thanks and best of luck! - David Pots (May 16, 2019)
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- "In Dreams"-inspired folksy warmup riff (Lesson #278)
Jan 22, 2019
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2019
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2019
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2019
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019