Guitar lesson for
by The Beatles • Lesson #242
Full video lesson
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
You can also buy the PDF for $3…
For this one lesson, I’m offering a one-time purchase for $3 - checkout takes seconds, no monthly fees, keep the PDF forever. If you support me on Patreon, you can already get this PDF with your monthly subscription.
Hey friends! Here’s my full lesson for Yesterday by The Beatles. I’ll teach you how to play it in standard tuning (the Beatles tune down 1 whole step), showing you two different fingerstyle approaches you can use to get the job done. One of them is more in the style of The Beatles (17:27), while the other uses the same chords & notes, but uses a more spacious fingerpicking pattern – which I prefer when playing it (28:01). Otherwise, I’ll start with the chord shapes, explain some ways to simplify some of the difficult transitions, and go over the general chord progression basics. In the end, you’ll have everything you need to play this song - whether you want to imitate the Beatles style, or do something more straightforward & strummy.
Timestamps for my full lesson:
- 0:00 Lesson preview & greeting
- 1:12 Tuning: standard vs. whole step down?
- 1:40 How to play the chords
- 6:49 Simplifying the F#m and B7
- 10:14 Chord progression basics
- 14:35 Strumming vs. fingerpicking?
- 17:27 Fingerpicking tab (var. 1 of 2)
- 28:01 Fingerpicking tab (var. 2 of 2)
- 30:02 Advanced chorus walk-down
- 32:15 Farewell
Have any other Beatles songs you want to see lessons for? Let me know! I’d like to do a few more in the month or two to come, as the movie “Yesterday” gets ready for theatrical release.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Banded Clovis by Tyler Childers
Mar 22, 2020 • Lesson #291
- Syncopation & Sus Chords
Mar 20, 2020 • Lesson #289
- Walk-down exercise inspired by the Turnpike Troubadours
Mar 15, 2020 • Lesson #290
- Patience by Guns N' Roses
Mar 12, 2020 • Lesson #288
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins (strummy play-along cover)
Feb 29, 2020 • Lesson #287
- Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond (play-along cover)
Feb 28, 2020 • Lesson #286
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
Feb 22, 2020 • Lesson #285
- Romeo and Julet by Dire Straits (Lesson #284)
Feb 15, 2020
- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by Righteous Brothers (Lesson #283)
Feb 9, 2020
- Wild World by Cat Stevens (Lesson #282)
Feb 1, 2020
- Memories by Maroon 5 (Lesson #281)
Jan 26, 2020
- "In Dreams"-inspired folksy warmup riff (Lesson #278)
Jan 22, 2020
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2020
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2020
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2020
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019