Guitar lesson for
Full video lesson
PDF link for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 145+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
You can also buy the PDF for $3…
For this one lesson, I’m offering a one-time purchase for $3 - checkout takes seconds, no monthly fees, keep the PDF forever. If you support me on Patreon, you can already get this PDF with your monthly subscription.
Hey friends! Here’s my full lesson for Yesterday by The Beatles. I’ll teach you how to play it in standard tuning (the Beatles tune down 1 whole step), showing you two different fingerstyle approaches you can use to get the job done. One of them is more in the style of The Beatles (17:27), while the other uses the same chords & notes, but uses a more spacious fingerpicking pattern – which I prefer when playing it (28:01). Otherwise, I’ll start with the chord shapes, explain some ways to simplify some of the difficult transitions, and go over the general chord progression basics. In the end, you’ll have everything you need to play this song - whether you want to imitate the Beatles style, or do something more straightforward & strummy.
Timestamps for my full lesson:
- 0:00 Lesson preview & greeting
- 1:12 Tuning: standard vs. whole step down?
- 1:40 How to play the chords
- 6:49 Simplifying the F#m and B7
- 10:14 Chord progression basics
- 14:35 Strumming vs. fingerpicking?
- 17:27 Fingerpicking tab (var. 1 of 2)
- 28:01 Fingerpicking tab (var. 2 of 2)
- 30:02 Advanced chorus walk-down
- 32:15 Farewell
Have any other Beatles songs you want to see lessons for? Let me know! I’d like to do a few more in the month or two to come, as the movie “Yesterday” gets ready for theatrical release.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019
- Gloria by The Lumineers (Lesson #263)
Oct 24, 2019
- I Walk The Line (Intro Riff) by Johnny Cash (Lesson #262)
Oct 19, 2019
- Lookin' Out My Back Door by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Lesson #261)
Oct 12, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns (Lesson #260)
Oct 6, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See" (Lesson #259)
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Lesson #258)
Sept 15, 2019
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello) (Lesson #257)
- Plush (acoustic) by Stone Temple Pilots (Lesson #256)
Sept 6, 2019