Guitar lesson for
by The Lively Ones • Lesson #248
Full video lesson
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Here’s an acoustic lesson for “Surf Rider”, an instrumental song by Lively Ones best known for its use in the Pulp Fiction end credits. It features a distinct bassline intro, followed by a very memorable melody riff that repeats throughout the song. I’ll teach you both of these things, walking you through some very beginner friendly ways to get up to speed. From there, you’ll be setup for success if you want to learn the remaining parts of the solo (which I don’t cover in this lesson).
Timestamps for my video:
- 0:00 Playthrough & overview
- 1:38 Intro riff
- 14:02 Main riff - basics
- 21:38 Main riff - misc tricks
Advanced fingerstyle cover
Here’s my favorite acoustic version of this song, found on YouTube. I initially hoped to play it like this guy does – and maybe one day I will! But he’s using some very well executed fingerstyle technique that I don’t have under my control yet. So, for my initial lesson I kept things on the more accessible side… maybe one day I’ll come back to this song and play it like him.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Don't Think Twice, It's All Right by Bob Dylan
May 24, 2020 • Lesson #301
- Travis Picking vs. Normal Fingerstyle
May 16, 2020 • Lesson #302
- Which guitar pick I use
May 9, 2020 • Lesson #300
- I've Just Seen a Face (intro riff) by The Beatles
May 8, 2020 • Lesson #299
- I've Just Seen a Face (full song) by The Beatles
May 4, 2020 • Lesson #298
- Country Bass Line Exercise in 6/8 Time
Apr 26, 2020 • Lesson #297
- Under the Milky Way by The Church
Apr 19, 2020 • Lesson #296
- Hello in There (intro riff) by John Prine
Apr 12, 2020 • Lesson #295
- Clay Pigeons by John Prine
Apr 8, 2020 • Lesson #294
- House of the Rising Sun by The Animals (easy fingerstyle)
Mar 31, 2020 • Lesson #293
- New! Browse my lessons by category, genre, decade, and more
Mar 29, 2020 • Lesson #292