Guitar lesson for
Peace of Mind
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Hey friends! In this lesson I’ll teach you how to play “Peace of Mind” by Tyler Childers (track 7 off his 2nd album, “Country Squire”). This is a very straightforward waltz-strumming song that only uses three chords. I’ll not only teach the chords, but explain a few ways to step-by-step get used to the 3/4-time strumming pattern – including the alternating bass note technique. I hope you enjoy! And I very highly recommend this entire album from Childers – I’ve had it on repeat. While the guitar parts don’t stand out as much as they do in his first album, his songwriting and vocals are A+ in my book.
Here’s what I cover in this lesson:
- 0:00 Playthrough & overview
- 1:14 Capo & chords
- 1:52 Strumming: waltz basics
- 4:33 Strumming: alternating bass notes (with tabs)
- 6:30 Verse
- 9:03 Chorus
- 10:06 Farewell
Lyrics w/ chords
* Capo 1st fret VERSE, PART 1 E He drinks orange juice and vodka, in the basement while she's talking E B7 To someone long distance, for hours and hours on end B7 And as he's slowly sippin', he thinks about his children B7 E And the heart attacks that youngest daughter's always giving him VERSE, PART 2 E He ain't smoked no marijuana, since he got on with the railroad E A And he's been on with the railroad, for a long and lonesome while A E But the day that he retires, he'll smoke himself to China B7 E He'll leave behind his worries, as he's racing through the sky CHORUS A E B7 E The days are dark... down in the holler... Waitin' for... the sun to shine A E B7 E On the back... you have been breakin'... tryin' to earn... peace of mind E She sells Avon to her buddies... and saves a little money E B7 On the makeup she's been using... to hide away the years B7 And she sits and watches TV... usually every evening B7 E If there ain't some kind of ballgame... that her daughter has to cheer E She sneaks menthols in the mornin'... while her family's still snorin' E A And as she burns the Eggo's... she looks back at her life A E That heart she broke in high school... he's singing on the Opry B7 E She wonders what the hell... that she was thinkin' at the time [ CHORUS ] Their [E] youngest daughter Stella... she's running with this fell That [E] he cannot stand the thought of... that he surely does de[B7]spise He's [B7] told her he best never... see the two of them together But it's [B7] hard to keep an eye on her... when you're workin' all the [E] time There are [E] things he needs to tend to... and the bills the bank keeps sendin' Lord, the [E] zeros on the end keep pushing further to the [A] right Like a [A] freight train haulin' sorrow... and [A] movin' ever onward Through the [B7] tunnel of forever... to the never endin' [E] light
Tyler Childers’ version of this song
Here’s the official version of this song, if you want to hear it:
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2019
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2019
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2019
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019