Guitar lesson for
PDF link for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 145+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this lesson I’ll show & explain how to play “The Wind” by Cat Stevens, from his 1971 album Teaser and the Firecat. This is a short but fantastic Cat Stevens song, combining fingerstyle verses with strummed chorus. I’ll explain the chords, talk through the fingerpicking (main riff included), and break down the verse and chorus sections. I hope you enjoy!
- 0:00 Playthrough & overview
- 1:53 Chord shapes
- 4:29 Intro & main riff
- 12:52 Verse
- 15:47 Chorus (strummed)
- 19:55 Chorus (fingerpicked)
- 22:21 Farewell
Lyrics w/ chords
INTRO Dadd5 (repeat) => D-riff G6 A (repeat) VERSE D G6 A D (riff) G6 A ...I listen to the wind, to the wind of my soul D G6 A D (riff) G6 A ...Where I'll end up, well I think... only God really knows CHORUS G A G A D ...I've sat upon the setting sun Em G Em G A ...But never, nev---er, nev---er, never G A G A D ...I never wanted water once Em G A D (riff) G6 A ...No, never nev--er, never VERSE D G6 A D (riff) G6 A ...I listen to my words, but they fall far below D G6 A D (riff) G6 A ...I let my music take me where my heart wants to go CHORUS G A G A D ...I swam upon the devil's lake Em G Em G A ...But never, nev---er, nev---er, never G A G A D ...I'll never make the same mistake Em G A D (riff) G6 A ...No, never nev--er, never [repeat main D-G-A riff a few times, end on D]
I hope this helps. Shoot me any questions or comments in an email, I’d be happy to respond.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019
- Gloria by The Lumineers (Lesson #263)
Oct 24, 2019
- I Walk The Line (Intro Riff) by Johnny Cash (Lesson #262)
Oct 19, 2019
- Lookin' Out My Back Door by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Lesson #261)
Oct 12, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns (Lesson #260)
Oct 6, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See" (Lesson #259)
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Lesson #258)
Sept 15, 2019
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello) (Lesson #257)
- Plush (acoustic) by Stone Temple Pilots (Lesson #256)
Sept 6, 2019