Guitar lesson for
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this lesson I’ll show & explain how to play “The Wind” by Cat Stevens, from his 1971 album Teaser and the Firecat. This is a short but fantastic Cat Stevens song, combining fingerstyle verses with strummed chorus. I’ll explain the chords, talk through the fingerpicking (main riff included), and break down the verse and chorus sections. I hope you enjoy!
- 0:00 Playthrough & overview
- 1:53 Chord shapes
- 4:29 Intro & main riff
- 12:52 Verse
- 15:47 Chorus (strummed)
- 19:55 Chorus (fingerpicked)
- 22:21 Farewell
Lyrics w/ chords
INTRO Dadd5 (repeat) => D-riff G6 A (repeat) VERSE D G6 A D (riff) G6 A ...I listen to the wind, to the wind of my soul D G6 A D (riff) G6 A ...Where I'll end up, well I think... only God really knows CHORUS G A G A D ...I've sat upon the setting sun Em G Em G A ...But never, nev---er, nev---er, never G A G A D ...I never wanted water once Em G A D (riff) G6 A ...No, never nev--er, never VERSE D G6 A D (riff) G6 A ...I listen to my words, but they fall far below D G6 A D (riff) G6 A ...I let my music take me where my heart wants to go CHORUS G A G A D ...I swam upon the devil's lake Em G Em G A ...But never, nev---er, nev---er, never G A G A D ...I'll never make the same mistake Em G A D (riff) G6 A ...No, never nev--er, never [repeat main D-G-A riff a few times, end on D]
I hope this helps. Shoot me any questions or comments in an email, I’d be happy to respond.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2019
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2019
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2019
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019