Warm Up Exercise
Latin Bassline Groove from "Senriorita"
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this lesson I’ll show you a warm up exercise based on the song Senriorita by Shawn Mendes and Camilla Cabello. This exercise specifically focuses on the bassline heard during the song. I’ll start by teaching the bassline by itself, and then from there add a few layers of spice & flourish. This includes some percussive techniques you can use to add flair, but also includes adding full chord shapes and some fills to transition between each chord. In the end, this results in a very satisfying array of exercises you can dive into and have fun with. Great for warming up! I hope you enjoy.
- 0:00 Playthrough & overview
- 2:10 Chord shapes needed
- 4:42 Exercise 1: Simple bassline
- 7:27 Exercise 2: Adding full chord shapes
- 10:27 Exercise 3: Adding fills (easier)
- 13:48 Exercise 4: Adding fills (advanced)
- 16:45 Farewell
The song this exercise is based on
I especially recommend giving the song Señiorita a listen, as you can hear this exact bassline groove in full effect! Even if you don’t care for pop music, hearing the groove within this song is a nice way to get the rhythm established in your ear.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR • Play-along cover (Lesson #269)
Dec 7, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR • Full Lesson (Lesson #269)
Dec 6, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019
- "Gloria" by The Lumineers (Lesson #263)
Oct 24, 2019
- "I Walk The Line" intro riff by Johnny Cash (Lesson #262)
Oct 19, 2019
- "Lookin' Out My Back Door" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Lesson #261)
Oct 12, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns (Lesson #260)
Oct 6, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See" (Lesson #259)
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Lesson #258)
Sept 15, 2019
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello) (Lesson #257)
- "Plush" acoustic by Stone Temple Pilots (Lesson #256)
Sept 6, 2019