Meditative fingerpicking practice, inspired by "The Wind" by Cat Stevens
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this lesson, I’ll describe some of the very repetitive (but fun!) exercises I found myself settling into while recently learning “The Wind” by Cat Stevens. Instead of shying away from “playing the same thing over and over,” I often embrace it – and use such occasions to intently focus on some of the more subtle aspects of playing: playing at a consistent volume, avoiding string buzz, striving for steady bass note volume, and so forth. I’ll show examples of all this, with a few sequences to practice for yourself if you’d like to come along for the journey.
If you would like to view my full lesson for “The Wind” by Cat Stevens, you can find it here: http://playsongnotes.com/lessons/254/
Thanks and enjoy!
My full lesson for “The Wind”
Here’s the song I was working on when I came up with these exercises (“The Wind” by Cat Stevens). Check out my video if you’re interested in learning this great song.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR • Play-along cover (Lesson #269)
Dec 7, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR • Full Lesson (Lesson #269)
Dec 6, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019
- "Gloria" by The Lumineers (Lesson #263)
Oct 24, 2019
- "I Walk The Line" intro riff by Johnny Cash (Lesson #262)
Oct 19, 2019
- "Lookin' Out My Back Door" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Lesson #261)
Oct 12, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns (Lesson #260)
Oct 6, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See" (Lesson #259)
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Lesson #258)
Sept 15, 2019
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello) (Lesson #257)
- "Plush" acoustic by Stone Temple Pilots (Lesson #256)
Sept 6, 2019