Warm Up Exercise
D-Cadd9-G riffin' on "Thank You" and "Can't You See"
PDF link for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 145+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this lesson we’re going to have some fun with D-Cadd9-G –– specifically, by applying the same 3-note riff to the high-E string of all of the chords. While this approach ups the difficulty with finger positioning, it results in something that sounds great. Led Zeppelin’s “Thank You” and Marshall Tucker Band’s “Can’t You See” both use a very similar approach to the D-Cadd9-G chords, and this lesson will help get you familiar with some techniques needed to play those songs. I hope you enjoy!
0:00 Playthrough & overview 1:38 Basic chord shapes for D-Cadd9-G 2:32 Variations of each chord 5:10 Learning the basic riff 9:07 Adding strumming to the mix 10:32 Farewell & other use cases
The songs this exercise is based on
“Can’t You See” by Marshall Tucker Band
“Thank You” by Led Zeppelin
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019
- Gloria by The Lumineers (Lesson #263)
Oct 24, 2019
- I Walk The Line (Intro Riff) by Johnny Cash (Lesson #262)
Oct 19, 2019
- Lookin' Out My Back Door by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Lesson #261)
Oct 12, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns (Lesson #260)
Oct 6, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See" (Lesson #259)
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Lesson #258)
Sept 15, 2019
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello) (Lesson #257)
- Plush (acoustic) by Stone Temple Pilots (Lesson #256)
Sept 6, 2019