Tips & Techniques
How to read & write strumming patterns
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this lesson I’ll show you 7 tips for reading & writing strumming patterns as part of your ongoing guitar play & practice. Whether you’re following along with another lesson, learning a song by ear, or writing songs for yourself – there’s many situations where this is a vital skill to have as a guitarist. No reading music, no dissecting tabs… this one is all about simple, practical ways to write down those ups & down strums in ways you can easily read later. I’ll cover the basics, and then get into some slightly more advanced grounds in looking at things like accents, rests, slap strumming, and bass notes.
Timestamps for this video:
- 0:00 Lesson overview
- 1:02 Tip 1 - Ups & down strums
- 2:32 Tip 2 - Counting & rhythm
- 4:25 Tip 3 - Combining timing w/ strum directions
- 6:02 Tip 4 - Rests & Silence
- 7:51 Tip 5 - Accented Strums
- 10:25 Tip 6 - Bass Note Strumming
- 13:04 Tip 7 - Slap Strumming
- 14:05 Farewell
Related lesson I made
Here’s my video on “slap strumming” technique I mention in tip #7.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR • Play-along cover (Lesson #269)
Dec 7, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR • Full Lesson (Lesson #269)
Dec 6, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019
- "Gloria" by The Lumineers (Lesson #263)
Oct 24, 2019
- "I Walk The Line" intro riff by Johnny Cash (Lesson #262)
Oct 19, 2019
- "Lookin' Out My Back Door" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Lesson #261)
Oct 12, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns (Lesson #260)
Oct 6, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See" (Lesson #259)
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Lesson #258)
Sept 15, 2019
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello) (Lesson #257)
- "Plush" acoustic by Stone Temple Pilots (Lesson #256)
Sept 6, 2019