Warm Up Exercise
"Death By 1000 Cuts" Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise (Key of C)
PDF link for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 145+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this lesson I’ll show you a fun fingerstyle exercise based on a C-major walkdown progression. Using 2 different arrangements, I’ll teach how you can use common chords in the key of C to capture the sound of a descending bass line throughout an 8-measure progression. This is inspired by the guitar work heard in Taylor Swift’s song “Death by 1000 Cuts” – though you’ll need a capo 4th fret to play along with her song (using the tabs I show).
- 0:00 Lesson overview
- 2:29 Chord shape basics
- 6:00 Chords, with melody notes
- 8:23 Walkdown variation #1
- 10:40 Walkdown variation #2
- 13:11 Playing with expression!
The song this exercise is based on
“Death by Thousand Cuts” by Taylor Swift. Again, you’ll need to add a capo on the 4th fret to play along with her version. The guitar starts 11 seconds in.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019
- Gloria by The Lumineers (Lesson #263)
Oct 24, 2019
- I Walk The Line (Intro Riff) by Johnny Cash (Lesson #262)
Oct 19, 2019
- Lookin' Out My Back Door by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Lesson #261)
Oct 12, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns (Lesson #260)
Oct 6, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See" (Lesson #259)
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Lesson #258)
Sept 15, 2019
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello) (Lesson #257)
- Plush (acoustic) by Stone Temple Pilots (Lesson #256)
Sept 6, 2019