4 tips for learning Blackbird
PDF link for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 145+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Here’s 4 quick tips to keep in mind when going about learning “Blackbird” by The Beatles –– which is a song I’m currently learning for the very first time! I wanted to capture these insights while they’re fresh. Whether you go about learning Blackbird from my lesson (coming soon) or from some other teacher, these tips will help you get over some of the initial hurdles you may encounter.
Things I talk about:
- You don’t have to play the entire song
- You don’t have to play it the exact way Paul does
- It’s okay to avoid the third string when starting out
- It’s okay to simplify the 2 difficult chords
The point is to have fun, and not feel pressured by the weight of this song when getting started. From there, you can take it as as you want to go – whether your goal is to play it like Paul, or you just want to casually futz around with the chord shapes. Have fun!
Watch Paul McCartney play it live
If you’re curious how he plays it, give this a watch! Notice how strummy he is, both with his thumb and his index finger. As I state in my video, it’s okay if you don’t play it exactly like him!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019
- Gloria by The Lumineers (Lesson #263)
Oct 24, 2019
- I Walk The Line (Intro Riff) by Johnny Cash (Lesson #262)
Oct 19, 2019
- Lookin' Out My Back Door by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Lesson #261)
Oct 12, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns (Lesson #260)
Oct 6, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See" (Lesson #259)
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Lesson #258)
Sept 15, 2019
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello) (Lesson #257)
- Plush (acoustic) by Stone Temple Pilots (Lesson #256)
Sept 6, 2019