Guitar lesson for
My Favorite Picture of You
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Hey there friends! Here’s a lesson teaching you how to play Guy Clark’s song “My Favorite Picture of You” – which he released on his final studio album in 2013. This is a great song, with Clark describing the circumstances surrounding a spontaneous Polaroid taken of his wife a few decades ago. Musically, this features fingerstyle guitar played in a very casual manner – primarily focusing on a change from A7sus4 => A7 => Dadd6 => D. I’ll explain how to play these chords, and give you plenty of tips on how to go about practicing this chords. In the back part of the lesson, I’ll show you the rough tab of how I play things – should you want to get a bit more advanced with it.
Note, you’ll need a capo on 2nd fret if you want to play along with Guy Clark’s version. Willie Nelson’s 2019 cover of this song uses a capo on the 3rd fret.
Here’s my timestamps for this lesson:
- 0:00 Lesson overview
- 3:08 Chord progression overview
- 5:28 How to play the chords
- 9:03 Playthrough: simple strums
- 12:43 Playthrough: advanced tab
- 20:39 Farewell & final advice
I hope you enjoy! If you’re hungry for more Guy Clark, I also have lessons for these songs:
Thanks all, and enjoy! David Pots.
Guy Clark’s telling of the tale
Here’s a short video of Guy Clark telling the story behind this song – i.e., him and Townes Van Zandt were drinking & acting afool, which lead to Clark’s wife storming out of the house. Where, chance would have it, a friend with a Polaroid camera was waiting. In this video he also performs the song. It’s absolutely not as sharp as the official album cut, but it’s still valuable in that it shows how a very stripped back, solo, and minimal performance of this song can still work. Enjoy!
Lyrics with chords
INTRO (same as verse) | A7sus4 A7 | A7sus4 A7 | Dadd6 D | Dadd6 D | | A7sus4 A7 | A7sus4 A7 | Dadd6 D | Dadd6 D | | A7 | A7 A7* | Bm | E7 | | A7 | A7 | VERSE #1 (D) A7sus4 A7 A7sus4 A7 .....My favorite picture of you, is the one where you're staring Dadd6 D Dadd6 D Straight into the lens A7sus4 A7 A7sus4 A7 .....It's just a Polaroid shot, someone took on the spot Dadd6 D Dadd6 D No beginning, no end A7 A7* It's just a moment in time, you can't have back Bm E7 A7 You never left but your bags were packed.... just in case (use same chord progression for all remaining verses) VERSE #2 My favorite picture of you, is bent and faded And it's pinned to my wall Oh, and you were so angry, it's hard to believe We were lovers at all There's a fire in your eyes, you've got your heart on your sleeve A curse on your lips, but all I can see... is beautiful VERSE #3 My favorite picture of you, is the one where Your wings are showing Oh, and your arms are crossed, your fists are clenched Not gone but going Just a stand up angel, who won't back down Nobody's fool, nobody's clown... you were smarter than that VERSE #4 My favorite picture of you, is the one where It hasn't rained yet Oh and as I recall, came a winter squall And we got soaking wet It's a thousand words, in the blink of an eye The camera loves you, and so do I... click ENDING My favorite picture of you, is the one where you're staring Straight into the lens
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR • Play-along cover (Lesson #269)
Dec 7, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR • Full Lesson (Lesson #269)
Dec 6, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019
- "Gloria" by The Lumineers (Lesson #263)
Oct 24, 2019
- "I Walk The Line" intro riff by Johnny Cash (Lesson #262)
Oct 19, 2019
- "Lookin' Out My Back Door" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Lesson #261)
Oct 12, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns (Lesson #260)
Oct 6, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See" (Lesson #259)
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Lesson #258)
Sept 15, 2019
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello) (Lesson #257)
- "Plush" acoustic by Stone Temple Pilots (Lesson #256)
Sept 6, 2019