Warm Up Exercise
Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Recently I’ve been learning a song that features heavy use of walk ups & walk downs on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings – so I went ahead and created this exercise to give me some practice reps. We’ll be in the key of G, using the chords of G C and D, and starting with a simple alternating-bass-note strum. From there, we’ll add some connective phrases to help us switch between chords. This breaks up the strumming, adding a bit of melodic shape to the playing. In the lesson I’ll explain the chords, the strumming, how to approach the connective phrases, and give general tips for learning this style of guitar.
- 0:00 Lesson overview
- 1:44 Chord shapes
- 2:15 Fretboard map
- 3:14 Strumming pattern
- 5:58 Playing the walk-ups & walk-downs
- 11:04 Playthrough (simple strumming)
- 11:32 Playthrough (intermediate strumming)
Here’s a related lesson I did doing this same technique using the chords of E, A, and B7. The biggest difference in this lesson below is I’m doing the walk-ups and walk-downs on the 6th and 5th strings, which I think is a bit easier to play (compared to the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings).
Likewise, here’s a lesson I made showing this same technique using the chords of A, D, and E. The PDF for this lesson is available here.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- "In Dreams"-inspired folksy warmup riff (Lesson #278)
Jan 22, 2019
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2019
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2019
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2019
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019