Guitar lesson for
Walk Right In
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this lesson I’ll teach you how to play “Walk Right In” by The Rooftop Singers (1962). This is a classic folk/bluegrass song that combines easy-going strumming with very distinctive acoustic walk-ups and walk-downs between various chords. It can be tricky to combine it all together… but in this lesson I’ll guide you through things step-by-step to help you learn it. I should note that this lesson is steered slightly toward an “easy” version of the song – I’ll be cutting a few corners to keep things simpler with some of the runs & fills, even if it’s not 100% what the Rooftop Singers play in all cases.
I begin with the basics: the chords, progression, easy strumming (all used in the verse)… and then show you how to bring in the slightly more difficult bass-line fills that connect everything together (specifically in the intro). Here’s what I teach, with timestamps if you want to jump ahead:
- 0:00 Lesson overview
- 2:35 Chord shapes & progression
- 6:29 Strumming the verse
- 9:51 How to play the intro (w/ tab)
- 20:36 Intro playthrough (simple strumming)
- 21:43 Intro playthrough (moderate strumming)
- 22:15 Farewell
I came to know this song from the Forrest Gump soundtrack back in the 90s, which introduced me to so much music I’d grow to love. Recently, it was Patreon supporter Karl who wrote in with a request for this song –– bringing it back to mind. It’s been a pleasure to make this lesson, and I hope you find it helpful!
Quick note about capo and tuning
I’m playing this song using chords in the key of G (to keep things simple), with a capo on the 1st fret. This allows you to play the song along with the album version while being in the same key. I should note that I’ve seen some lessons teach this in the key of A, with the guitar tuned down 1/2 step. I’m not taking that approach, even if that’s the “real” way The Rooftop Singers play this song… simply because I’d rather keep things slightly more beginner-friendly and accessible to more of my audience.
Rooftop Singers version of this song
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
Feb 22, 2020 • Lesson #285
- Romeo and Julet by Dire Straits (Lesson #284)
Feb 15, 2020
- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by Righteous Brothers (Lesson #283)
Feb 9, 2020
- Wild World by Cat Stevens (Lesson #282)
Feb 1, 2020
- Memories by Maroon 5 (Lesson #281)
Jan 26, 2020
- "In Dreams"-inspired folksy warmup riff (Lesson #278)
Jan 22, 2020
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2020
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2020
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2020
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019