Warm Up Exercise
Sierra Ferrell "In Dreams"-inspired riff
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Hey friends! Today’s lesson is for a short 5-measure riff with an old-timey, jangly sound – using a guitar technique very much evocative of the “Carter Scratch” style of play, which combines rhythm and lead at the same time. There’s also heavy use of the stretched pinky finger to add flourish notes to a D-major chord, which is something I first taught in lesson #167.
The song this riff comes from is “In Dreams” by Sierra Ferrell, a young up-and-coming country/folk/Americana artist who I learned about through the excellent GemsOnVHS YouTube channel (which travels around, capturing live folk performances off-the-beaten-path). I can’t recommend that particular channel enough, and I look forward to Sierra Ferrell’s upcoming album.
Here’s timestamps for this lesson:
- 0:00 Lesson overview
- 1:50 Chord shapes needed
- 2:16 Strumming basics
- 3:51 Full tab, explained
- 11:30 Farewell
Need help with the pinky stretch on the D?
Check out my video teaching that technique:
Sierra Ferrell’s “In Dreams”
Here’s the song that this riff is taken from – you can hear it in the intro, right off the bat.
Learn more about the Carter Scratch
Here’s a nice video that NPR Music put out, featuring artist Courtney Marie Andrews explaining & demonstrating the Carter Scratch technique. The production of this video, along with her explanation, are super helpful!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
Feb 22, 2020 • Lesson #285
- Romeo and Julet by Dire Straits (Lesson #284)
Feb 15, 2020
- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by Righteous Brothers (Lesson #283)
Feb 9, 2020
- Wild World by Cat Stevens (Lesson #282)
Feb 1, 2020
- Memories by Maroon 5 (Lesson #281)
Jan 26, 2020
- "In Dreams"-inspired folksy warmup riff (Lesson #278)
Jan 22, 2020
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2020
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2020
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2020
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019