Tips & Techniques
Which guitar pick I use & why
The guitar pick I recommend…
Watch a video explanation & overview of my preferred pick here!
Hey friends! In this video I answer a question many of you have emailed in: which guitar pick do I use? I’ll answer the question, explaining why I use the pick I’ve favored for the past 10 years or so (Dunlop .46mm “Delrin” 41P.46, light pink) — and why I’ve settled on this pick after experimenting with a few similar ones over the years.
I recommend buying the pick from a local guitar store. But if that’s not possible, here’s a link to get it from Amazon (purchasing after clicking this link gives a few cents back to me):
Why I like this pick
The two main reasons I like the Dunlop .46mm Delrin style pick:
- It’s flexible enough to create a softer sound on the strings, but not too flimsy as to prevent you from projecting individual strings when necessary. I’ve experimented with picks from Dunlop in both directions – the next thinner version, and the next more stiff version… in both attempts, I felt like I was moving away from the sweet spot that the .46mm provides.
- It’s material has a nice “grip” on my thumb and index finger, which I find much more helpful than nylon when it comes to keeping control of the pick (and not dropping it).
In the video I’ll talk through all this and more, with some visual examples and guitar playing demonstrations to accompany some of the points I make. I hope you find this helpful… thanks to all of you who asked this question!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Don't Think Twice, It's All Right by Bob Dylan
May 24, 2020 • Lesson #301
- Travis Picking vs. Normal Fingerstyle
May 16, 2020 • Lesson #302
- Which guitar pick I use
May 9, 2020 • Lesson #300
- I've Just Seen a Face (intro riff) by The Beatles
May 8, 2020 • Lesson #299
- I've Just Seen a Face (full song) by The Beatles
May 4, 2020 • Lesson #298
- Country Bass Line Exercise in 6/8 Time
Apr 26, 2020 • Lesson #297
- Under the Milky Way by The Church
Apr 19, 2020 • Lesson #296
- Hello in There (intro riff) by John Prine
Apr 12, 2020 • Lesson #295
- Clay Pigeons by John Prine
Apr 8, 2020 • Lesson #294
- House of the Rising Sun by The Animals (easy fingerstyle)
Mar 31, 2020 • Lesson #293
- New! Browse my lessons by category, genre, decade, and more
Mar 29, 2020 • Lesson #292