Warm Up Exercise
Backwoods Pull-Off Exercise (Key of C)
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Hey friends! Here’s a quick exercise to help you practice your left-pinky pull-off technique. By pull-off, I’m referring to the opposite of a hammer-on… where a finger is forcefully pulled “off” of a fretted string, such that it sounds like the string is being plucked.
Specially, we’ll be doing these three transitions –– where the left pinky (highlighted) is initial positioned on the 3rd fret…
But then, after the pinky is pulled off, it’s the red note shown below that will sound out, as if it was plucked.
This is a great way to add flourish to any riff in a way that’s done entirely with the left hand. This riff in particular includes a few of the most common pull-off scenarios beginner guitarists will encounter.
Here’s a preview of the full PDF (attached at the bottom of this post):
Thanks to supporter Erik for sending in the song I based this lesson off of (Chillin in the Backwoods by Jawga Boys). While I didn’t know the song, this intro riff caught my ear at once –– and I knew it’d make for a good lesson showing this technique.
I’d eventually love to do some more focused lessons on the hammer-on and pull-off techniques with a very technical focus – but until then, I trust this exercise might be a good one to try out.
Thanks and until next time ✌️
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
June 28, 2020 • Lesson #308
- Mr. Bojangles by Jerry Jeff Walker
June 21, 2020 • Lesson #307
- Willin' by Little Feat
June 13, 2020 • Lesson #306
- My Church by Maren Morris
June 7, 2020 • Lesson #305
- Pull-off Exercise (Key of C)
June 6, 2020 • Lesson #304
- Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (fingerstyle) by Bob Dylan
May 30, 2020 • Lesson #303
- Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (strum version) by Bob Dylan
May 24, 2020 • Lesson #301
- Travis Picking vs. Normal Fingerstyle
May 16, 2020 • Lesson #302
- Which guitar pick I use
May 9, 2020 • Lesson #300
- I've Just Seen a Face (intro riff) by The Beatles
May 8, 2020 • Lesson #299
- I've Just Seen a Face (full song) by The Beatles
May 4, 2020 • Lesson #298
- Country Bass Line Exercise in 6/8 Time
Apr 26, 2020 • Lesson #297
- Under the Milky Way by The Church
Apr 19, 2020 • Lesson #296
- Hello in There (intro riff) by John Prine
Apr 12, 2020 • Lesson #295
- Clay Pigeons by John Prine
Apr 8, 2020 • Lesson #294
- House of the Rising Sun by The Animals (easy fingerstyle)
Mar 31, 2020 • Lesson #293
- New! Browse my lessons by category, genre, decade, and more
Mar 29, 2020 • Lesson #292