Guitar lesson for
How Far I'll Go
by Alessia Cara • Lesson #34
PDF not yet available...
I have not yet made a PDF version of this lesson. If you'd like to request that I make one, shoot me an email and please let me know - I am always adding back catalog lessons to my PDF library.
Here's a list of the 150+ lessons I have made PDFs for.
Capo 4th fret!
This lets you avoid scary barre chords. If you want to play the song without a capo, it’s in the key of E… transpose everything you see below accordingly.
VERSE "I've been staring at the edge of the water..." C . . . Dm . . . Am . . . F . . . C . . . Dm . . . Am . . . F . . . PRE-CHORUS "Every turn I take, every trail I track..." Am . . . G . . . C . . . Fm . . . CHORUS "See the line where the sky meets the sea..." C . . . G . . . Am . . . F . . . C . . . G . . . Am . . . Fm . . .
Chords with lyrics
(capo 4) C Dm I've been staring at the edge of the water Am F Long as I can remember, never really knowing why C Dm I wish I could be the perfect daughter Am F But I come back to the water, no matter how hard I try Am .....Every turn I take, every trail I track G .....Every path I make, every road leads back C ....To the place I know, where I cannot go Fm ...Where I long to be C G See the line where the sky meets the sea? It calls me... Am F And no one knows... how far it goes F G If the wind in my sail on the sea stays behind me Am Fm C One day I'll know, If I go there's just no telling how far I'll go
Totally optional, but this captures the Alessia Cara post-chorus melody. See my video lesson for context.
E —––––0––2––5––0–––– B —–3––3––3––3––2–––– G —–2––2––2––2––2–––– D —–0––0––0––0––2–––– A —–––––––––––––0–––– E —––––––––––––––––––
I hope this helps, and as always let me know if you have any questions.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- House of the Rising Sun by The Animals (easy fingerstyle)
Mar 31, 2020 • Lesson #293
- New! Browse my lessons by category, genre, decade, and more
Mar 29, 2020 • Lesson #292
- Banded Clovis by Tyler Childers
Mar 22, 2020 • Lesson #291
- Syncopation & Sus Chords
Mar 20, 2020 • Lesson #289
- Walk-down exercise inspired by the Turnpike Troubadours
Mar 15, 2020 • Lesson #290
- Patience by Guns N' Roses
Mar 12, 2020 • Lesson #288
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins (strummy play-along cover)
Feb 29, 2020 • Lesson #287
- Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond (play-along cover)
Feb 28, 2020 • Lesson #286
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
Feb 22, 2020 • Lesson #285
- Romeo and Julet by Dire Straits (Lesson #284)
Feb 15, 2020
- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by Righteous Brothers (Lesson #283)
Feb 9, 2020
- Wild World by Cat Stevens (Lesson #282)
Feb 1, 2020
- Memories by Maroon 5 (Lesson #281)
Jan 26, 2020
- "In Dreams"-inspired folksy warmup riff (Lesson #278)
Jan 22, 2020
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2020
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2020
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2020
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019