Here’s my lesson, including a play-through with chords and tabs overlaid. Please refer to this when using everything further down this page – everything I play here, I explain below.
PDF not yet available...
I have not yet made a PDF version of this lesson. If you'd like to request that I make one, shoot me an email and please let me know - I am always adding back catalog lessons to my PDF library.
Here's a list of the 150+ lessons I have made PDFs for.
E –––0––––3––––0––––1––––2–––– B –––1––––0––––1––––1––––3–––– G –––0––––0––––2––––2––––2–––– D –––2––––0––––2––––3––––0–––– A –––3––––2––––0––––3––––––––– E ––––––––3–––––––––1––––––––– C G Am F D
This one is pretty straightforward. There’s three main chunks to memorize.
First, the verse. Note that there are a few times in the Sublime version where Bradley slips in an A-minor in place of a G, for some of the chords. This was probably because the song was recorded under what sounds like casual circumstances – some free play is not to be surprising.
"Maybe one breath away..." C . . . G . . . C . . . G . . . x2
Second, the start of the chorus (if you can call it that).
"I don't know if I can..." C . . . Am . . . C . . . Am . . . x1
Third, the turnaround (end of the chorus). Immediately after this, you’ll begin the next verse (return to C).
"Mary baby, please don't fuss and fight" F . . . F . . . D . G .
Lyrics with chords
C G C G Maybe one breath away... I'll find the words to say C G C G ...I'll sit and light the bong... I'll hold my hit in real long C Am C Am F ...I don't know if I can... go up inside of you tonight (F) D G Oh, Mary baby... please don't fuss and fight C Am ...You've heard the line before... C G Mary, baby please don't think I'm a whore C G C ...If you come home to me turn off the lights... G And lock up the doors, and start getting busy C Am C Am F ...I don't know if I can, go so far up inside you tonight (F) D G Oh, Mary baby I could do it right C G C G ...When we got to the pad... Mary baby started calling me her dad C Am C G ...Yes, she gave me head... we could not find a damn bed C Am C Am ...Fifteen years old plus one, hotter than a microwave oven F D G C ...Oh Mary baby, daddy is coming home
Mini verse riff
At the end of the chorus (the final G before you begin the C-Am-C-Am section), you’ll often hear something like this. Here’s how I play it… watch my video for context.
E ––––3––––––––––––––––0––––– B ––––0––––––––––––––––1––––– G ––––0––––––––––––––––0––––– D ––––0––––––––––––0–––2––––– A ––––2––––––––––2–––––3––––– E ––––3––––––––3––––––––––––– G C
I hope that helps!
Let me know if you have questions. Are there any other Sublime songs you’d like to see lessons for? Hit me up, and I may add them!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- House of the Rising Sun by The Animals (easy fingerstyle)
Mar 31, 2020 • Lesson #293
- New! Browse my lessons by category, genre, decade, and more
Mar 29, 2020 • Lesson #292
- Banded Clovis by Tyler Childers
Mar 22, 2020 • Lesson #291
- Syncopation & Sus Chords
Mar 20, 2020 • Lesson #289
- Walk-down exercise inspired by the Turnpike Troubadours
Mar 15, 2020 • Lesson #290
- Patience by Guns N' Roses
Mar 12, 2020 • Lesson #288
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins (strummy play-along cover)
Feb 29, 2020 • Lesson #287
- Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond (play-along cover)
Feb 28, 2020 • Lesson #286
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
Feb 22, 2020 • Lesson #285
- Romeo and Julet by Dire Straits (Lesson #284)
Feb 15, 2020
- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by Righteous Brothers (Lesson #283)
Feb 9, 2020
- Wild World by Cat Stevens (Lesson #282)
Feb 1, 2020
- Memories by Maroon 5 (Lesson #281)
Jan 26, 2020
- "In Dreams"-inspired folksy warmup riff (Lesson #278)
Jan 22, 2020
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2020
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2020
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2020
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019