Guitar lesson for
Stairway to Heaven
Intro (part 1)
Part 2 is coming next (second half of June 2019).
“Oh, it makes me wonder” part heard between 2:14-2:38 of the song.
PDF link for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 145+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Intro, part 1
Play this twice:
E |––––––––5–––7–––––7––|––8–––––8–––2–––––2––|––0–––––––––0––––––|–––––––––––––––––––| B |––––––5–––––––5––––––|––––5–––––––––3––––––|––––1–––1–––––1––––|––0–1–1––––––––––––| G |––––5–––––––––––5––––|––––––5–––––––––2––––|––––––2–––––––––2––|––0–2–2––––––––––––| D |––7–––––––––6––––––––|––5–––––––––4––––––––|––3––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––| A |–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––|––2–0–0–––0––/8–7––| E |–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––| Am Am/G# Am/G D/F# Fadd9 G/B Am
The key to learning this, if your’e just getting started with it, is to learn the chord shapes first. Get them down pat before you even worry about the finger picking pattern. Here are the chord shapes with the fingerpicking pattern removed:
E |––5–––––––––7––––––––|––8–––––––––2––––––––|––0––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––| B |––5–––––––––5––––––––|––5–––––––––3––––––––|––1––––––––––––––––|––0–––1––––––––––––| G |––5–––––––––5––––––––|––5–––––––––2––––––––|––2––––––––––––––––|––0–––2––––––––––––| D |––7–––––––––6––––––––|––5–––––––––4––––––––|––3––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––| A |–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––|––2–––0–––0––/8–7––| E |–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––| Am Am/G# Am/G D/F# Fadd9 G/B Am
Once you get these worked out, adding the fingerpicking is much easier an ordeal.
Available on my Patreon page.
Stay tuned for the rest!
If you want to see the rest of this song added sooner than later, let me know!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019
- Gloria by The Lumineers (Lesson #263)
Oct 24, 2019
- I Walk The Line (Intro Riff) by Johnny Cash (Lesson #262)
Oct 19, 2019
- Lookin' Out My Back Door by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Lesson #261)
Oct 12, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns (Lesson #260)
Oct 6, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See" (Lesson #259)
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Lesson #258)
Sept 15, 2019
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello) (Lesson #257)
- Plush (acoustic) by Stone Temple Pilots (Lesson #256)
Sept 6, 2019