Guitar lesson for
Stairway to Heaven
by Led Zeppelin • Lesson #69
Intro (part 1)
Part 2 is coming next (second half of June 2019).
“Oh, it makes me wonder” part heard between 2:14-2:38 of the song.
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Intro, part 1
Play this twice:
E |––––––––5–––7–––––7––|––8–––––8–––2–––––2––|––0–––––––––0––––––|–––––––––––––––––––| B |––––––5–––––––5––––––|––––5–––––––––3––––––|––––1–––1–––––1––––|––0–1–1––––––––––––| G |––––5–––––––––––5––––|––––––5–––––––––2––––|––––––2–––––––––2––|––0–2–2––––––––––––| D |––7–––––––––6––––––––|––5–––––––––4––––––––|––3––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––| A |–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––|––2–0–0–––0––/8–7––| E |–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––| Am Am/G# Am/G D/F# Fadd9 G/B Am
The key to learning this, if your’e just getting started with it, is to learn the chord shapes first. Get them down pat before you even worry about the finger picking pattern. Here are the chord shapes with the fingerpicking pattern removed:
E |––5–––––––––7––––––––|––8–––––––––2––––––––|––0––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––| B |––5–––––––––5––––––––|––5–––––––––3––––––––|––1––––––––––––––––|––0–––1––––––––––––| G |––5–––––––––5––––––––|––5–––––––––2––––––––|––2––––––––––––––––|––0–––2––––––––––––| D |––7–––––––––6––––––––|––5–––––––––4––––––––|––3––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––| A |–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––|––2–––0–––0––/8–7––| E |–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––| Am Am/G# Am/G D/F# Fadd9 G/B Am
Once you get these worked out, adding the fingerpicking is much easier an ordeal.
Available on my Patreon page.
Stay tuned for the rest!
If you want to see the rest of this song added sooner than later, let me know!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Banded Clovis by Tyler Childers
Mar 22, 2020 • Lesson #291
- Syncopation & Sus Chords
Mar 20, 2020 • Lesson #289
- Walk-down exercise inspired by the Turnpike Troubadours
Mar 15, 2020 • Lesson #290
- Patience by Guns N' Roses
Mar 12, 2020 • Lesson #288
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins (strummy play-along cover)
Feb 29, 2020 • Lesson #287
- Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond (play-along cover)
Feb 28, 2020 • Lesson #286
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
Feb 22, 2020 • Lesson #285
- Romeo and Julet by Dire Straits (Lesson #284)
Feb 15, 2020
- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by Righteous Brothers (Lesson #283)
Feb 9, 2020
- Wild World by Cat Stevens (Lesson #282)
Feb 1, 2020
- Memories by Maroon 5 (Lesson #281)
Jan 26, 2020
- "In Dreams"-inspired folksy warmup riff (Lesson #278)
Jan 22, 2020
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2020
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2020
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2020
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019