Guitar lesson for
by Post Malone • Lesson #91
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
First off, you’ll want to know these basic chord positions for this song. Even though you’ll be fingerpicking (instead of strumming), I strongly advise you get used to putting your left hand into these full chord positions – even for fingerpicking.
E –––0––––0––––1––––3–––– B –––1––––1––––1––––0–––– G –––0––––2––––2––––0–––– D –––2––––2––––3––––0–––– A –––3––––0––––3––––2–––– E –––––––––––––1––––3–––– C Am F G
There’s also these slight modifications of the chords above, which are used in a few places.
E –––0–––––1––––– B –––1–––––0––––– G –––3–––––0––––– D –––2–––––0––––– A –––3–––––2––––– E –––––––––3––––– C7 G7
Once you know the chords, it’s time to learn the basic fingerpicking patterns. The good news: there is a ton of consistency here. For the C, Am, F, and C7 you have the same general pattern – lowest note, highest note, 2nd lowest note, 2nd highest note. While the strings played per each chord are different, it’s not terribly difficult to memorize. Print this out (or write it down) if you are having trouble memorizing things… the hard part will be getting your right hand’s fingers to play along with the instructions your brain will be giving them.
Each pattern below needs to be repeated (usually 8 times).
E ––––––––––––––––– B –––––1––––––––––– <-- right ring G ––––––––––––0–––– <-- right middle D ––––––––2–––––––– <-- right index A –––3––––––––––––– <-- right thumb E ––––––––––––––––– C E ––––––––––––––––– B –––––1––––––––––– <-- right ring G ––––––––––––2–––– <-- right middle D ––––––––2–––––––– <-- right index A –––0––––––––––––– <-- right thumb E ––––––––––––––––– Am E ––––––––––––––––– B ––––––––––––––––– G –––––2––––––––––– <-- right ring D ––––––––––––3–––– <-- right middle A ––––––––3–––––––– <-- right index E –––1––––––––––––– <-- right thumb F E ––––––––––––3–––– <-- right ring B –––––0––––––––––– <-- right middle G ––––––––0–––––––– <-- right index D ––––––––––––––––– A ––––––––––––––––– E –––3––––––––––––– <-- right thumb G E ––––––––––––––––– B –––––1––––––––––– <-- right ring G ––––––––––––3–––– <-- right middle D ––––––––2–––––––– <-- right index A –––3––––––––––––– <-- right thumb E ––––––––––––––––– C7 E ––––––––––––1–––– <-- right ring B –––––0––––––––––– <-- right middle G ––––––––0–––––––– <-- right index D ––––––––––––––––– A ––––––––––––––––– E –––3––––––––––––– <-- right thumb G7
For each chord name or dot below, play the fingerpicking pattern per that chord one time. e.g., for the “C” in the verse play the pattern 8 times total. And so on and so forth.
C . . . C . . . Am . . . Am . . . F . . . F . . . C . . . C . . .
F . . . F . . . C . . . C . . . F . . . F . . . C . . . G . . . G7 . . .
Lyrics w/ chords
VERSE C Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh-ooh Am Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh-ooh F C Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh-ooh, ooh C And I've been looking for someone to put up with my bullshit Am I can't even leave my bedroom so I keep pouring F And I ain't seen a light of day since, well, that's not important C It's been---- long C And I was feeling Whitney, me and my homies sip Houston Am Cars and clothes, thought I was winning, you knew I was losing F You told me to wake up, oh, my clock always stays on snooze, and C C7 I'm done CHORUS F To each their own and, find peace in knowing C Ain't always broken, but here's to hoping F Show no emotion, against your coding C G Just act as hard as you can G7 (stop) You don't need a friend........... boy, you're the man (repeat these progressions for remaining verse & choruses)
Let me know if you have questions. I hope this was helpful.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- House of the Rising Sun by The Animals (easy fingerstyle)
Mar 31, 2020 • Lesson #293
- New! Browse my lessons by category, genre, decade, and more
Mar 29, 2020 • Lesson #292
- Banded Clovis by Tyler Childers
Mar 22, 2020 • Lesson #291
- Syncopation & Sus Chords
Mar 20, 2020 • Lesson #289
- Walk-down exercise inspired by the Turnpike Troubadours
Mar 15, 2020 • Lesson #290
- Patience by Guns N' Roses
Mar 12, 2020 • Lesson #288
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins (strummy play-along cover)
Feb 29, 2020 • Lesson #287
- Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond (play-along cover)
Feb 28, 2020 • Lesson #286
- 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins
Feb 22, 2020 • Lesson #285
- Romeo and Julet by Dire Straits (Lesson #284)
Feb 15, 2020
- You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' by Righteous Brothers (Lesson #283)
Feb 9, 2020
- Wild World by Cat Stevens (Lesson #282)
Feb 1, 2020
- Memories by Maroon 5 (Lesson #281)
Jan 26, 2020
- "In Dreams"-inspired folksy warmup riff (Lesson #278)
Jan 22, 2020
- Walk Right In by The Rooftop Singers (Lesson #277)
Jan 16, 2020
- Practicing Walk Ups & Walk Downs in G (Lesson #276)
Jan 10, 2020
- My top 12 videos of 2019
Jan 4, 2020
- "Sweet Virginia" (intro) by The Rolling Stones • (Lesson #274)
Dec 29, 2019
- "Sin City" by Gram Parsons (Lesson #272 & 273)
Dec 26, 2019
- 2-string beginner blues riffs (Lesson #271)
Dec 15, 2019
- "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" by CCR (Lesson #269 & 270)
Dec 7, 2019
- "My Favorite Picture of You" by Guy Clark (Lesson #268)
Nov 29, 2019
- 12 ways to modify the A-major chord (Lesson #267)
Nov 23, 2019
- 4 tips for learning Blackbird by The Beatles (Lesson #265)
Nov 5, 2019
- Fingerstyle Walkdown Exercise in C (Lesson #264)
Oct 27, 2019