Practice Log #1
Playing around in Drop-D tuning
How to tune to Drop D
In summary, you’ll need to tune your thickest string from an E down to a D. Here’s a video I made previously showing you how to do this very quickly:
Basic chords in Drop-D
First, understand your common I-IV-V chords in D will be played like this. Note the G, which requires you to get a bit creative compared to the common 320003 shape. Likewise, the E-minor requires a slightly different position as shown here.
E –––2––––3––––0––––0––– B –––3––––0––––2––––0––– G –––2––––0––––2––––0––– D –––0––––0––––2––––2––– A –––0––––x––––0––––2––– D –––0––––5–––––––––2––– D G A Em
Moving up the neck of the guitar
One of my favorite things to do in drop-d is to play triad chords up the neck (on the thinnest 3 strings), while leaving the thickest three strings open.
Here’s 3 different ways to play the D-Em-F#m progression, which I demo in my video lesson for this practice log:
E –––2––––3––––5–––|––5––––7––––9–––|––10–––12–––14–– B –––3––––5––––7–––|––7––––8––––10––|––10–––12–––14–– G –––2––––4––––6–––|––7––––9––––11––|––11–––12–––14–– D –––0–––––––––––––|––0–––––––––––––|––0––––––––––––– A –––0–––––––––––––|––0–––––––––––––|––0––––––––––––– D –––0–––––––––––––|––0–––––––––––––|––0––––––––––––– D Em F#m D Em F#m D Em F#m
Similarly, here’s two different ways to play D-G-A:
E –––2––––3––––5–––|––5––––7––––9–––|––10–– B –––3––––3––––5–––|––7––––8––––10––|––10–– G –––2––––4––––6–––|––7––––7––––9–––|––11–– D –––0–––––––––––––|––0–––––––––––––|––0––– A –––0–––––––––––––|––0–––––––––––––|––0––– D –––0–––––––––––––|––0–––––––––––––|––0––– D G A D G A D
The idea with these triads, is to learn & memorize the chords – esepcially the “D” positions as they serve as your home base. Once you have them figured out, enjoy moving up and down through the other positions. Try to play around and make up progressions using these building blocks.
Bluesy riffs in drop-d
Finally, here’s how to play a very bluesy sounding sequence in the I-IV-V chords of D-G-A. Once you have these simple sequences memorized, you can assemble them in all kinds of ways (12 bar blues, etc).
E ––––––––––––––––– E ––––––––––––––––– E ––––––––––––––––– B ––––––––––––––––– B ––––––––––––––––– B ––––––––––––––––– G ––––––––––––––––– G ––––––––––––––––– G ––––––––––––––––– D ––––––––––––––––– D ––––––––––––––––– D ––––––––––––––––– A –––0–––0––2–––2–– A –––5–––5––7–––7–– A –––7–––7––9–––9–– D –––0–––0––0–––0–– D –––5–––5––5–––5–– D –––7–––7––7–––7–– D G A
Enjoy this lesson? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider donating to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it). Thanks!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Slap strumming basics (percussive rhythm technique)
Dect 8, 2018
- How to practice with a backing track, feat. Tennessee Whiskey (Practice Log #7)
Dec 1, 2018
- Playing A-major with big fingers or a small fretboard
Nov 27, 2018
- E-major backyard groove (feat. Posters by Jack Johnson)
Nov 21, 2018
- How to play F#m (F sharp minor)
Nov 18, 2018
- Spicing up a 2-chord song feat. Tennessee Whiskey (Practice Log #6)
Nov 15, 2018
- Adding pinky accent notes to a chord progression (Practice Log #5)
Nov 11, 2018
- Adding pentatonic licks w/ strumming in A-minor (Warm Up #9)
Nov 8, 2018
- Maybe It's Time from A Star is Born
Nov 4, 2018
- Palm muting basics
Oct 31, 2018
- "One Horse Town" riffing on A-minor and C (Warm Up #8)
Oct 28, 2018
- Transitioning between Em7 - D/F# - G (Warm Up #7)
Oct 24, 2018
- "Pretty Woman" lick, played 4 ways
Oct 13, 2018
- Shallow by Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga
Oct 11, 2018
- Mudfootball G-D7 shuffle (Warm Up #6)
Oct 7, 2018
- A-minor murder ballad groove (Warm Up #5)
Oct 2, 2018
- How to play Fadd9
Sept 27, 2018
- Blaze Foley country strumming (Warm Up #4)
Sept 25, 2018
- Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis
Sept 22, 2018
- "Sultans of Swing" chorus lick (Warm Up #3)
Sept 19, 2018
- Learning how to Travis Pick with "Clay Pigeons"
Sept 13, 2018
- Lady May by Tyler Childers
Sept 7, 2018
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.