Guitar lesson for
How Far I'll Go
Capo 4th fret!
This lets you avoid scary barre chords. If you want to play the song without a capo, it’s in the key of E… transpose everything you see below accordingly.
VERSE "I've been staring at the edge of the water..." C . . . Dm . . . Am . . . F . . . C . . . Dm . . . Am . . . F . . . PRE-CHORUS "Every turn I take, every trail I track..." Am . . . G . . . C . . . Fm . . . CHORUS "See the line where the sky meets the sea..." C . . . G . . . Am . . . F . . . C . . . G . . . Am . . . Fm . . .
Chords with lyrics
(capo 4) C Dm I've been staring at the edge of the water Am F Long as I can remember, never really knowing why C Dm I wish I could be the perfect daughter Am F But I come back to the water, no matter how hard I try Am .....Every turn I take, every trail I track G .....Every path I make, every road leads back C ....To the place I know, where I cannot go Fm ...Where I long to be C G See the line where the sky meets the sea? It calls me... Am F And no one knows... how far it goes F G If the wind in my sail on the sea stays behind me Am Fm C One day I'll know, If I go there's just no telling how far I'll go
Totally optional, but this captures the Alessia Cara post-chorus melody. See my video lesson for context.
E —––––0––2––5––0–––– B —–3––3––3––3––2–––– G —–2––2––2––2––2–––– D —–0––0––0––0––2–––– A —–––––––––––––0–––– E —––––––––––––––––––
I hope this helps, and as always let me know if you have any questions.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- How I change my acoustic guitar strings
May 19, 2019
- "My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight" (fingerstyle intro) by John Prine
May 17, 2019
- Outlaw fingerstyle warmup ("Sleeping on the Blacktop") by Colter Wall
May 11, 2019
- First Call (horse racing / military bugle wake-up call)
May 4, 2019
- Imagine by John Lennon
May 2, 2019
- Jenny of Oldstones from Game of Thrones
Apr 23, 2019
- Wildflowers by Tom Petty
Apr 20, 2019
- Breezy strumming on E-Bsus4-Asus2 (Warm Up #18)
Apr 18, 2019
- How I composed a fingerstyle guitar arrangement (Practice Log #12)
Apr 13, 2019
- If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett
Apr 10, 2019
- Triad exercises w/ A, D, & E (Warm Up #17)
Mar 30, 2019
- Travis picking finger technique (Practice Log #11)
Mar 22, 2019
- Let Him Roll by Guy Clark
Mar 17, 2019
- Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Mar 15, 2019
- Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mar 9, 2019
- Adding flourish to C-F-G-Am
Mar 7, 2019
- The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Mar 3, 2019
- Always Remember Us This Way from A Star is Born
Feb 28, 2019
- Cowboy chords & walking bass lines (Warm Up #16)
Feb 23, 2019
- Improv blues guitar in A-minor
Feb 21, 2019
- St James Infirmary Blues
Feb 16, 2019
- Barre chord strength & Smells Like Teen Spirit (Warm Up #15)
Feb 14, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of D w/ major & minor triads (Warm Up #14)
Feb 10, 2019
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.