Guitar lesson for
Full video lesson
Print-friendly PDF of lyrics/tabs/chords
There are two ways to get the PDF chord sheet for this lesson:
- Support me on Patreon - one month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to PDFs of all my new & recent lessons (view a free sample & see list of all PDFs). The monthly support is tremendously helpful in supporting this independent project of mine.
- One-time purchase for $3 - checkout takes seconds, no monthly fees, keep the PDF forever.
Hey friends! Here’s my full lesson for Yesterday by The Beatles. I’ll teach you how to play it in standard tuning (the Beatles tune down 1 whole step), showing you two different fingerstyle approaches you can use to get the job done. One of them is more in the style of The Beatles (17:27), while the other uses the same chords & notes, but uses a more spacious fingerpicking pattern – which I prefer when playing it (28:01). Otherwise, I’ll start with the chord shapes, explain some ways to simplify some of the difficult transitions, and go over the general chord progression basics. In the end, you’ll have everything you need to play this song - whether you want to imitate the Beatles style, or do something more straightforward & strummy.
Timestamps for my full lesson:
- 0:00 Lesson preview & greeting
- 1:12 Tuning: standard vs. whole step down?
- 1:40 How to play the chords
- 6:49 Simplifying the F#m and B7
- 10:14 Chord progression basics
- 14:35 Strumming vs. fingerpicking?
- 17:27 Fingerpicking tab (var. 1 of 2)
- 28:01 Fingerpicking tab (var. 2 of 2)
- 30:02 Advanced chorus walk-down
- 32:15 Farewell
Have any other Beatles songs you want to see lessons for? Let me know! I’d like to do a few more in the month or two to come, as the movie “Yesterday” gets ready for theatrical release.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Stairway to Heaven (Interlude) by Led Zeppelin
- Yesterday (full lesson) by The Beatles
June 8, 2019
- An easier way to play F#m (no barre chord required)
June 4, 2019
- Yesterday (cover) by The Beatles
May 27, 2019
- How I change my acoustic guitar strings
May 19, 2019
- "My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight" (fingerstyle intro) by John Prine
May 17, 2019
- Outlaw fingerstyle warmup ("Sleeping on the Blacktop") by Colter Wall
May 11, 2019
- First Call (horse racing / military bugle wake-up call)
May 4, 2019
- Imagine by John Lennon
May 2, 2019
- Jenny of Oldstones from Game of Thrones
Apr 23, 2019
- Wildflowers by Tom Petty
Apr 20, 2019
- Breezy strumming on E-Bsus4-Asus2 (Warm Up #18)
Apr 18, 2019
- How I composed a fingerstyle guitar arrangement (Practice Log #12)
Apr 13, 2019
- If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett
Apr 10, 2019
- Triad exercises w/ A, D, & E (Warm Up #17)
Mar 30, 2019
- Travis picking finger technique (Practice Log #11)
Mar 22, 2019
- Let Him Roll by Guy Clark
Mar 17, 2019
- Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Mar 15, 2019
- Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mar 9, 2019
- Adding flourish to C-F-G-Am
Mar 7, 2019
- The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Mar 3, 2019
- Always Remember Us This Way from A Star is Born
Feb 28, 2019
- Cowboy chords & walking bass lines (Warm Up #16)
Feb 23, 2019
- Improv blues guitar in A-minor
Feb 21, 2019
- St James Infirmary Blues
Feb 16, 2019
- Barre chord strength & Smells Like Teen Spirit (Warm Up #15)
Feb 14, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of D w/ major & minor triads (Warm Up #14)
Feb 10, 2019
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.