Guitar lesson for
Never Be the Same
Without a capo, use these chords:
E –––0––––3––––1––––1–––– B –––1––––0––––3––––1–––– G –––0––––0––––2––––2–––– D –––2––––0––––0––––3–––– A –––3––––2––––––––(3)––– E ––––––––3––––––––(1)––– C G Dm F
With a capo on the 5th fret, you can also use these chords. This lets you avoid the F chord.
E –––3––––2––––0––––0–––– B –––0––––3––––1––––1–––– G –––0––––2––––2––––0–––– D –––0––––0––––2––––2–––– A –––2–––––––––0––––3–––– E –––3––––––––––––––––––– G D Am C
Chord progression for entire song
Repeat this for the entire song. Eight counts per chord!
C . . . C . . . G . . . G . . . Dm . . . Dm . . . F . . . F . . .
With a capo on the 5th fret, this becomes:
G . . . G . . . D . . . D . . . Am . . . Am . . . C . . . C . . .
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D D U
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D D U U D D U D U
Chorus lyrics w/ chords
For context, here’s the chorus with the chords where they belong. See my video lesson for context and a playthrough:
C It's you, babe G And I'm a sucker for the way that you move, babe Dm And I could try to run, but it would be useless, you're to blame F Just one hit of you, I knew I'll never be the same
Let me know if you have questions. I hope this was helpful.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- How I change my acoustic guitar strings
May 19, 2019
- "My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight" (fingerstyle intro) by John Prine
May 17, 2019
- Outlaw fingerstyle warmup ("Sleeping on the Blacktop") by Colter Wall
May 11, 2019
- First Call (horse racing / military bugle wake-up call)
May 4, 2019
- Imagine by John Lennon
May 2, 2019
- Jenny of Oldstones from Game of Thrones
Apr 23, 2019
- Wildflowers by Tom Petty
Apr 20, 2019
- Breezy strumming on E-Bsus4-Asus2 (Warm Up #18)
Apr 18, 2019
- How I composed a fingerstyle guitar arrangement (Practice Log #12)
Apr 13, 2019
- If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett
Apr 10, 2019
- Triad exercises w/ A, D, & E (Warm Up #17)
Mar 30, 2019
- Travis picking finger technique (Practice Log #11)
Mar 22, 2019
- Let Him Roll by Guy Clark
Mar 17, 2019
- Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Mar 15, 2019
- Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mar 9, 2019
- Adding flourish to C-F-G-Am
Mar 7, 2019
- The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Mar 3, 2019
- Always Remember Us This Way from A Star is Born
Feb 28, 2019
- Cowboy chords & walking bass lines (Warm Up #16)
Feb 23, 2019
- Improv blues guitar in A-minor
Feb 21, 2019
- St James Infirmary Blues
Feb 16, 2019
- Barre chord strength & Smells Like Teen Spirit (Warm Up #15)
Feb 14, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of D w/ major & minor triads (Warm Up #14)
Feb 10, 2019
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.