Guitar lesson for
Never Be the Same
Without a capo, use these chords:
E –––0––––3––––1––––1–––– B –––1––––0––––3––––1–––– G –––0––––0––––2––––2–––– D –––2––––0––––0––––3–––– A –––3––––2––––––––(3)––– E ––––––––3––––––––(1)––– C G Dm F
With a capo on the 5th fret, you can also use these chords. This lets you avoid the F chord.
E –––3––––2––––0––––0–––– B –––0––––3––––1––––1–––– G –––0––––2––––2––––0–––– D –––0––––0––––2––––2–––– A –––2–––––––––0––––3–––– E –––3––––––––––––––––––– G D Am C
Chord progression for entire song
Repeat this for the entire song. Eight counts per chord!
C . . . C . . . G . . . G . . . Dm . . . Dm . . . F . . . F . . .
With a capo on the 5th fret, this becomes:
G . . . G . . . D . . . D . . . Am . . . Am . . . C . . . C . . .
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D D U
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D D U U D D U D U
Chorus lyrics w/ chords
For context, here’s the chorus with the chords where they belong. See my video lesson for context and a playthrough:
C It's you, babe G And I'm a sucker for the way that you move, babe Dm And I could try to run, but it would be useless, you're to blame F Just one hit of you, I knew I'll never be the same
Let me know if you have questions. I hope this was helpful.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Light On by Maggie Rogers
Jan 19, 2019
- Improvised pickin' on The Gambler (Practice Log #8)
Jan 17, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of A
Jan 12, 2019
- My Top Lessons of 2018
Jan 8, 2019
- Heart of Gold by Neil Young
Jan 5, 2019
- Auld Lang Syne (traditional)
Dec 31, 2018
- Faking open chords in key of E
Dec 27, 2018
- Last Christmas by Wham!
Dec 24, 2018
- Please Come Home for Christmas by The Eagles
Dec 17, 2018
- Guitar chords on a ukulele
Dec 13, 2018
- Slap strumming basics (percussive rhythm technique)
Dec 8, 2018
- How to practice with a backing track, feat. Tennessee Whiskey (Practice Log #7)
Dec 1, 2018
- Playing A-major with big fingers or a small fretboard
Nov 27, 2018
- E-major backyard groove (feat. Posters by Jack Johnson)
Nov 21, 2018
- How to play F#m (F sharp minor)
Nov 18, 2018
- Spicing up a 2-chord song feat. Tennessee Whiskey (Practice Log #6)
Nov 15, 2018
- Adding pinky accent notes to a chord progression (Practice Log #5)
Nov 11, 2018
- Adding pentatonic licks w/ strumming in A-minor (Warm Up #9)
Nov 8, 2018
- Maybe It's Time from A Star is Born
Nov 4, 2018
- Palm muting basics
Oct 31, 2018
- "One Horse Town" riffing on A-minor and C (Warm Up #8)
Oct 28, 2018
- Transitioning between Em7 - D/F# - G (Warm Up #7)
Oct 24, 2018
- "Pretty Woman" lick, played 4 ways
Oct 13, 2018
- Shallow by Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga
Oct 11, 2018
- Mudfootball G-D7 shuffle (Warm Up #6)
Oct 7, 2018
- A-minor murder ballad groove (Warm Up #5)
Oct 2, 2018
- How to play Fadd9
Sept 27, 2018
- Blaze Foley country strumming (Warm Up #4)
Sept 25, 2018
- Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis
Sept 22, 2018
- "Sultans of Swing" chorus lick (Warm Up #3)
Sept 19, 2018
- Learning how to Travis Pick with "Clay Pigeons"
Sept 13, 2018
- Lady May by Tyler Childers
Sept 7, 2018
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.