Guitar lesson for
Capo 4th fret
This is so you can use open standard chord shapes, and not be stuck in barre chord hell.
For the most part, you can use these three chords to play most of the song. Note, the E-minor voicing here is intentionally using only four of the 6 strings. See my video lesson for context here.
E |–––3––––2––––0––– B |–––0––––3––––1––– G |–––0––––2––––0––– D |–––2––––0––––2––– A |–––––––––––––3––– E |––––––––––––––––– Em D C
You’ll also need these chords for other parts of the song:
E |–––0––––2––––0––––2––––0––––3–––– B |–––0––––3––––1––––3––––1––––0–––– G |–––0––––2––––0––––4––––2––––0–––– D |–––2––––0––––2––––4––––2––––0–––– A |–––2–––––––––3––––2––––0––––2–––– E |–––0––––––––––––––––––––––––3–––– Em D C Bm Am G
Lyrics w/ chords
VERSE Em D C C D Em No limit in the sky that I won't fly for you... Em D C C D Em No amount of tears in my eyes that I won't cry for you... PRE-CHORUS (Em) D Em D Em ......With every breath that I take D C D Em I want you to share that air with me D Em D C There's no promise that I won't keep Am D Em I'll climb a mountain, there's none too steep CHORUS G C Am D When it comes to you There’s no crime Bm Em Am C Let’s take both of our souls And intertwine (D) G C Am D When it comes to you Don't be blind Bm Em C D Em C D Em Watch me speak from my heart, When it comes to you, comes to you DROP Em D C ... C D Em Em D C ... C D Em
And so forth – repeat these progressions for each verse / pre-chorus / chorus / drop.
I hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any questions. You may also want to be sure to watch my video lesson, where I explain things in great detail.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Let Him Roll by Guy Clark
Mar 17, 2019
- Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Mar 15, 2019
- Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mar 9, 2019
- Adding flourish to C-F-G-Am
Mar 7, 2019
- The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Mar 3, 2019
- Always Remember Us This Way from A Star is Born
Feb 28, 2019
- Cowboy chords & walking bass lines (Warm Up #16)
Feb 23, 2019
- Improv blues guitar in A-minor
Feb 21, 2019
- St James Infirmary Blues
Feb 16, 2019
- Barre chord strength & Smells Like Teen Spirit (Warm Up #15)
Feb 14, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of D w/ major & minor triads (Warm Up #14)
Feb 10, 2019
- Copperhead Road by Steve Earle
Feb 7, 2019
- Guantanamera by Pete Seeger
Jan 31, 2019
- "Blue on Black" grooving on D5-Cadd9-G (Warm Up #13)
Jan 26, 2019
- Adding fills to the "Wild Horses" intro (Practice Log #9)
Jan 24, 2019
- Light On by Maggie Rogers
Jan 19, 2019
- Improvised pickin' on The Gambler (Practice Log #8)
Jan 17, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of A
Jan 12, 2019
- My Top Lessons of 2018
Jan 8, 2019
- Heart of Gold by Neil Young
Jan 5, 2019
- Auld Lang Syne (traditional)
Dec 31, 2018
- Faking open chords in key of E
Dec 27, 2018
- Last Christmas by Wham!
Dec 24, 2018
- Please Come Home for Christmas by The Eagles
Dec 17, 2018
- Guitar chords on a ukulele
Dec 13, 2018
- Slap strumming basics (percussive rhythm technique)
Dec 8, 2018
- How to practice with a backing track, feat. Tennessee Whiskey (Practice Log #7)
Dec 1, 2018
- Playing A-major with big fingers or a small fretboard
Nov 27, 2018
- E-major backyard groove (feat. Posters by Jack Johnson)
Nov 21, 2018
- How to play F#m (F sharp minor)
Nov 18, 2018
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.