Guitar lesson for
Capo 4th fret
This is so you can use open standard chord shapes, and not be stuck in barre chord hell.
For the most part, you can use these three chords to play most of the song. Note, the E-minor voicing here is intentionally using only four of the 6 strings. See my video lesson for context here.
E |–––3––––2––––0––– B |–––0––––3––––1––– G |–––0––––2––––0––– D |–––2––––0––––2––– A |–––––––––––––3––– E |––––––––––––––––– Em D C
You’ll also need these chords for other parts of the song:
E |–––0––––2––––0––––2––––0––––3–––– B |–––0––––3––––1––––3––––1––––0–––– G |–––0––––2––––0––––4––––2––––0–––– D |–––2––––0––––2––––4––––2––––0–––– A |–––2–––––––––3––––2––––0––––2–––– E |–––0––––––––––––––––––––––––3–––– Em D C Bm Am G
Lyrics w/ chords
VERSE Em D C C D Em No limit in the sky that I won't fly for you... Em D C C D Em No amount of tears in my eyes that I won't cry for you... PRE-CHORUS (Em) D Em D Em ......With every breath that I take D C D Em I want you to share that air with me D Em D C There's no promise that I won't keep Am D Em I'll climb a mountain, there's none too steep CHORUS G C Am D When it comes to you There’s no crime Bm Em Am C Let’s take both of our souls And intertwine (D) G C Am D When it comes to you Don't be blind Bm Em C D Em C D Em Watch me speak from my heart, When it comes to you, comes to you DROP Em D C ... C D Em Em D C ... C D Em
And so forth – repeat these progressions for each verse / pre-chorus / chorus / drop.
I hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any questions. You may also want to be sure to watch my video lesson, where I explain things in great detail.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- How I change my acoustic guitar strings
May 19, 2019
- "My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight" (fingerstyle intro) by John Prine
May 17, 2019
- Outlaw fingerstyle warmup ("Sleeping on the Blacktop") by Colter Wall
May 11, 2019
- First Call (horse racing / military bugle wake-up call)
May 4, 2019
- Imagine by John Lennon
May 2, 2019
- Jenny of Oldstones from Game of Thrones
Apr 23, 2019
- Wildflowers by Tom Petty
Apr 20, 2019
- Breezy strumming on E-Bsus4-Asus2 (Warm Up #18)
Apr 18, 2019
- How I composed a fingerstyle guitar arrangement (Practice Log #12)
Apr 13, 2019
- If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett
Apr 10, 2019
- Triad exercises w/ A, D, & E (Warm Up #17)
Mar 30, 2019
- Travis picking finger technique (Practice Log #11)
Mar 22, 2019
- Let Him Roll by Guy Clark
Mar 17, 2019
- Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Mar 15, 2019
- Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mar 9, 2019
- Adding flourish to C-F-G-Am
Mar 7, 2019
- The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Mar 3, 2019
- Always Remember Us This Way from A Star is Born
Feb 28, 2019
- Cowboy chords & walking bass lines (Warm Up #16)
Feb 23, 2019
- Improv blues guitar in A-minor
Feb 21, 2019
- St James Infirmary Blues
Feb 16, 2019
- Barre chord strength & Smells Like Teen Spirit (Warm Up #15)
Feb 14, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of D w/ major & minor triads (Warm Up #14)
Feb 10, 2019
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.