Guitar lesson for
How to play the chords
Here’s how I play the chords:
E –––0––––0––––3––––0––––––0––––– B –––2––––0––––0––––3––––––1––––– G –––2––––0––––0––––0––––––0––––– D –––2––––2––––0––––4––––––2––––– A –––0––––2––––2––––5––––––3––––– E ––––––––0––––3––––––––––––––––– A Em G Dsus2 C
For the Dsus2, you have some other options depending on your taste. Pick one to suit you. It looks like she may play the D/A style chord:
E ––––0––––––0–––– B ––––3––––––3–––– G ––––2––––––0–––– D ––––0––––––4–––– A –––––––––––5–––– E –––––––––––5–––– Dsus2 D/A
Most of the song uses this progression:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + A Em G Dsus2
Sometimes, she’ll swap out the E minor and play a C instead, such as:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + A C G Dsus2
To keep it very easy, start with all down strums:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D D D
If you want to take it further, add an accent to the “3” count. See my video lesson for reference.
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D D D >
Next, if you wish, add alternating up-strums between each down strum. Keep the accent on the 3!
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D U D U D U D U >
Thanks for reading! I hope this helped you.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
You can also support me on Patreon. For only $3/month you'll get access to a print-friendly PDF of my notes for each lesson.
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Adding pinky accent notes to a chord progression (Practice Log #5)
Nov 11, 2018
- Adding pentatonic licks w/ strumming in A-minor (Warm Up #9)
Nov 8, 2018
- Maybe It's Time from A Star is Born
Nov 4, 2018
- Palm muting basics
Oct 31, 2018
- "One Horse Town" riffing on A-minor and C (Warm Up #8)
Oct 28, 2018
- Transitioning between Em7 - D/F# - G (Warm Up #7)
Oct 24, 2018
- "Pretty Woman" lick, played 4 ways
Oct 13, 2018
- Shallow by Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga
Oct 11, 2018
- Mudfootball G-D7 shuffle (Warm Up #6)
Oct 7, 2018
- A-minor murder ballad groove (Warm Up #5)
Oct 2, 2018
- How to play Fadd9
Sept 27, 2018
- Blaze Foley country strumming (Warm Up #4)
Sept 25, 2018
- Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis
Sept 22, 2018
- "Sultans of Swing" chorus lick (Warm Up #3)
Sept 19, 2018
- Learning how to Travis Pick with "Clay Pigeons"
Sept 13, 2018
- Lady May by Tyler Childers
Sept 7, 2018
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.