Guitar lesson for
How to play the chords
Here’s how I play the chords:
E –––0––––0––––3––––0––––––0––––– B –––2––––0––––0––––3––––––1––––– G –––2––––0––––0––––0––––––0––––– D –––2––––2––––0––––4––––––2––––– A –––0––––2––––2––––5––––––3––––– E ––––––––0––––3––––––––––––––––– A Em G Dsus2 C
For the Dsus2, you have some other options depending on your taste. Pick one to suit you. It looks like she may play the D/A style chord:
E ––––0––––––0–––– B ––––3––––––3–––– G ––––2––––––0–––– D ––––0––––––4–––– A –––––––––––5–––– E –––––––––––5–––– Dsus2 D/A
Most of the song uses this progression:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + A Em G Dsus2
Sometimes, she’ll swap out the E minor and play a C instead, such as:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + A C G Dsus2
To keep it very easy, start with all down strums:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D D D
If you want to take it further, add an accent to the “3” count. See my video lesson for reference.
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D D D >
Next, if you wish, add alternating up-strums between each down strum. Keep the accent on the 3!
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D U D U D U D U >
Thanks for reading! I hope this helped you.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Fingerpicking C-G-Am-F (Vampire Weekend's "Hold You Now")
July 16, 2019
- You've Got a Friend in Me (fingerstyle intro)
July 5, 2019
- Ring finger barre strength exercise
June 26, 2019
- F chord with wrapped thumb (for fingerstyle)
June 21, 2019
- Stairway to Heaven (Interlude) by Led Zeppelin
- Yesterday (full lesson) by The Beatles
June 8, 2019
- An easier way to play F#m (no barre chord required)
June 4, 2019
- Yesterday (cover) by The Beatles
May 27, 2019
- How I change my acoustic guitar strings
May 19, 2019
- "My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight" (fingerstyle intro) by John Prine
May 17, 2019
- Outlaw fingerstyle warmup ("Sleeping on the Blacktop") by Colter Wall
May 11, 2019
- First Call (horse racing / military bugle wake-up call)
May 4, 2019
- Imagine by John Lennon
May 2, 2019
- Jenny of Oldstones from Game of Thrones
Apr 23, 2019
- Wildflowers by Tom Petty
Apr 20, 2019
- Breezy strumming on E-Bsus4-Asus2 (Warm Up #18)
Apr 18, 2019
- How I composed a fingerstyle guitar arrangement (Practice Log #12)
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.