Guitar lesson for
G . . .
C . . . F . G . . . x4
C . . . F . E . . . Am . Am/G . F . C . . . F . . . C . E . . . Am . Am/G . F . C . . .
E . E7 . Am . F . . . C . G . C . C/B . F . C . G . . . G7 . . .
For the intro use this pattern:
| ↓ ↓ ↓ ↑ | | 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |
For the verse, and for some of the rest of the song, note that there’s a measure of two beats nestled between two measures of four beats. As such, I use this pattern, where in the middle 2-beat measure, you have two distinct down strums directly on the main beat.
| ↓ ↓ ↓ ↑ | ↓ ↓ | ↓ ↑ ↓ ↑ ↓ ↑ | | 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + | 1 + 2 + | 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + |
How I play the chords
For each of the chords in the song, I use the positions shown here:
E –––0–––––––––1––––3––––1––––0––––0––––0––––0–––– B –––1––––1––––1––––0––––0––––0––––3––––1––––1–––– G –––0––––0––––2––––0––––0––––1––––1––––2––––0–––– D –––2––––0––––3––––0––––0––––2––––2––––2––––2–––– A –––3––––2––––3––––2––––2––––2––––2––––0––––x–––– E –––––––––––––1––––3––––3––––0––––0–––––––––3–––– C C/B F G G7 E E7 Am Am/G
Now, of course – there are other positions and voicings you could use for many of these chords. For example, a true Am/G could be played as 302210; and E7 could also be played as 020100. Those are just a few of the alternatives… I am not going to note them all because that could get out of hand, and in my opinion there’s always some room for personal interpretation and pragmatism when it comes to you deciding how to play the chords you need in a song.
Lyrics with chords
INTRO G VERSE C F G Where are you going I don't mind C F G I've killed my world and I've killed my time C F G So where do I go what do I see C F G I see many people coming after me PRE-CHORUS C F E So where are you going to I don't mind Am Am/G F C If I live too long I'm afraid I'll die F C E So I will follow you wherever you go Am Am/G F C If your offered hand is still open to me CHORUS E E7 Am F Strangers on this road we are on C G C C/B F C G G7 We are not two, we are one C F G So you've been where I've just come C F G From the land that brings losers on C F G So we will share this road we walk C F G And mind our mouths and beware our talk C F E Till peace we find tell you what I'll do Am Am/G F C All the things I own I will share with you F C E And if I feel tomorrow like I feel today Am Am/G F C We'll take what we want and give the rest away E E7 Am F Strangers on this road we are on C G C C/B F C G G7 We are not two, we are one C F G Holy man and holy priest C F G This love of life makes me weak in my knees C F G And when we get there make your play C F G Cause soon I feel you're gonna carry us away C F E In a promised lie you made us believe Am Am/G F C For many men there is so much grief F C E And my mind is proud but it aches with rage Am Am/G F C And if I live too long I'm afraid I'll die E E7 Am F Strangers on this road we are on C G C C/B We are not two, we are one E E7 Am F Strangers on this road we are on C G C C/B We are not two, we are one
I truly hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Let Him Roll by Guy Clark
Mar 17, 2019
- Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Mar 15, 2019
- Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mar 9, 2019
- Adding flourish to C-F-G-Am
Mar 7, 2019
- The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Mar 3, 2019
- Always Remember Us This Way from A Star is Born
Feb 28, 2019
- Cowboy chords & walking bass lines (Warm Up #16)
Feb 23, 2019
- Improv blues guitar in A-minor
Feb 21, 2019
- St James Infirmary Blues
Feb 16, 2019
- Barre chord strength & Smells Like Teen Spirit (Warm Up #15)
Feb 14, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of D w/ major & minor triads (Warm Up #14)
Feb 10, 2019
- Copperhead Road by Steve Earle
Feb 7, 2019
- Guantanamera by Pete Seeger
Jan 31, 2019
- "Blue on Black" grooving on D5-Cadd9-G (Warm Up #13)
Jan 26, 2019
- Adding fills to the "Wild Horses" intro (Practice Log #9)
Jan 24, 2019
- Light On by Maggie Rogers
Jan 19, 2019
- Improvised pickin' on The Gambler (Practice Log #8)
Jan 17, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of A
Jan 12, 2019
- My Top Lessons of 2018
Jan 8, 2019
- Heart of Gold by Neil Young
Jan 5, 2019
- Auld Lang Syne (traditional)
Dec 31, 2018
- Faking open chords in key of E
Dec 27, 2018
- Last Christmas by Wham!
Dec 24, 2018
- Please Come Home for Christmas by The Eagles
Dec 17, 2018
- Guitar chords on a ukulele
Dec 13, 2018
- Slap strumming basics (percussive rhythm technique)
Dec 8, 2018
- How to practice with a backing track, feat. Tennessee Whiskey (Practice Log #7)
Dec 1, 2018
- Playing A-major with big fingers or a small fretboard
Nov 27, 2018
- E-major backyard groove (feat. Posters by Jack Johnson)
Nov 21, 2018
- How to play F#m (F sharp minor)
Nov 18, 2018
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.