Guitar lesson for
One 4-chord progression for the entire song!
This entire song uses a single 4-chord progression, repeating over and over. This makes things super simple to memorize, since you don’t need to remember something different for the verse vs. chorus vs. intro, etc. A choice you’ll have to make is whether or not you use a capo. If you don’t use a capo, you’ll need to play one barre chord (B minor). You could use a capo on the 2nd or 7th fret – the latter allowing you to play the progression using no capo. This can be handy if you don’t know barre chords yet.
Chord progression used if you use no capo:
Bm . . . G . . . D . . . A . . .
Chord progression used if you use capo on 2nd fret:
Am . . . F . . . C . . . G . . .
Chord progression used if you use capo on 7th fret:
Em . . . C . . . G . . . D . . .
Chords w/ no capo
E –––2–––3–––2–––0–––– B –––3–––0–––3–––2–––– G –––4–––0–––2–––2–––– D –––4–––0–––0–––2–––– A –––2–––2–––––––0–––– E –––––––3–––––––––––– Bm G D A
Chords w/ capo on 2nd fret
E –––0–––1–––0–––3–––– B –––1–––1–––1–––0–––– G –––2–––2–––0–––0–––– D –––2–––3–––2–––0–––– A –––0–––3–––3–––2–––– E –––––––1–––––––3–––– Am F C G
Chords w/ capo on 7th fret
E –––0–––0–––3–––2–––– B –––0–––1–––0–––3–––– G –––0–––0–––0–––2–––– D –––2–––2–––0–––0–––– A –––2–––3–––2–––––––– E –––0–––––––3–––––––– Em C G D
To be honest, this isn’t something I’ve been able to learn – it certainly requires a level of skill that’s in the intermediate/advanced range when it comes to fret pull-offs. To be honest, this isn’t something I’m too great at! Best of luck working it out though – check YouTube, because there are definitely some good tutorials out there.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or feedback.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Light On by Maggie Rogers
Jan 19, 2019
- Improvised pickin' on The Gambler (Practice Log #8)
Jan 17, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of A
Jan 12, 2019
- My Top Lessons of 2018
Jan 8, 2019
- Heart of Gold by Neil Young
Jan 5, 2019
- Auld Lang Syne (traditional)
Dec 31, 2018
- Faking open chords in key of E
Dec 27, 2018
- Last Christmas by Wham!
Dec 24, 2018
- Please Come Home for Christmas by The Eagles
Dec 17, 2018
- Guitar chords on a ukulele
Dec 13, 2018
- Slap strumming basics (percussive rhythm technique)
Dec 8, 2018
- How to practice with a backing track, feat. Tennessee Whiskey (Practice Log #7)
Dec 1, 2018
- Playing A-major with big fingers or a small fretboard
Nov 27, 2018
- E-major backyard groove (feat. Posters by Jack Johnson)
Nov 21, 2018
- How to play F#m (F sharp minor)
Nov 18, 2018
- Spicing up a 2-chord song feat. Tennessee Whiskey (Practice Log #6)
Nov 15, 2018
- Adding pinky accent notes to a chord progression (Practice Log #5)
Nov 11, 2018
- Adding pentatonic licks w/ strumming in A-minor (Warm Up #9)
Nov 8, 2018
- Maybe It's Time from A Star is Born
Nov 4, 2018
- Palm muting basics
Oct 31, 2018
- "One Horse Town" riffing on A-minor and C (Warm Up #8)
Oct 28, 2018
- Transitioning between Em7 - D/F# - G (Warm Up #7)
Oct 24, 2018
- "Pretty Woman" lick, played 4 ways
Oct 13, 2018
- Shallow by Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga
Oct 11, 2018
- Mudfootball G-D7 shuffle (Warm Up #6)
Oct 7, 2018
- A-minor murder ballad groove (Warm Up #5)
Oct 2, 2018
- How to play Fadd9
Sept 27, 2018
- Blaze Foley country strumming (Warm Up #4)
Sept 25, 2018
- Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis
Sept 22, 2018
- "Sultans of Swing" chorus lick (Warm Up #3)
Sept 19, 2018
- Learning how to Travis Pick with "Clay Pigeons"
Sept 13, 2018
- Lady May by Tyler Childers
Sept 7, 2018
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.