Guitar lesson for
One 4-chord progression for the entire song!
This entire song uses a single 4-chord progression, repeating over and over. This makes things super simple to memorize, since you don’t need to remember something different for the verse vs. chorus vs. intro, etc. A choice you’ll have to make is whether or not you use a capo. If you don’t use a capo, you’ll need to play one barre chord (B minor). You could use a capo on the 2nd or 7th fret – the latter allowing you to play the progression using no capo. This can be handy if you don’t know barre chords yet.
Chord progression used if you use no capo:
Bm . . . G . . . D . . . A . . .
Chord progression used if you use capo on 2nd fret:
Am . . . F . . . C . . . G . . .
Chord progression used if you use capo on 7th fret:
Em . . . C . . . G . . . D . . .
Chords w/ no capo
E –––2–––3–––2–––0–––– B –––3–––0–––3–––2–––– G –––4–––0–––2–––2–––– D –––4–––0–––0–––2–––– A –––2–––2–––––––0–––– E –––––––3–––––––––––– Bm G D A
Chords w/ capo on 2nd fret
E –––0–––1–––0–––3–––– B –––1–––1–––1–––0–––– G –––2–––2–––0–––0–––– D –––2–––3–––2–––0–––– A –––0–––3–––3–––2–––– E –––––––1–––––––3–––– Am F C G
Chords w/ capo on 7th fret
E –––0–––0–––3–––2–––– B –––0–––1–––0–––3–––– G –––0–––0–––0–––2–––– D –––2–––2–––0–––0–––– A –––2–––3–––2–––––––– E –––0–––––––3–––––––– Em C G D
To be honest, this isn’t something I’ve been able to learn – it certainly requires a level of skill that’s in the intermediate/advanced range when it comes to fret pull-offs. To be honest, this isn’t something I’m too great at! Best of luck working it out though – check YouTube, because there are definitely some good tutorials out there.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or feedback.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Fingerpicking C-G-Am-F (Vampire Weekend's "Hold You Now")
July 16, 2019
- You've Got a Friend in Me (fingerstyle intro)
July 5, 2019
- Ring finger barre strength exercise
June 26, 2019
- F chord with wrapped thumb (for fingerstyle)
June 21, 2019
- Stairway to Heaven (Interlude) by Led Zeppelin
- Yesterday (full lesson) by The Beatles
June 8, 2019
- An easier way to play F#m (no barre chord required)
June 4, 2019
- Yesterday (cover) by The Beatles
May 27, 2019
- How I change my acoustic guitar strings
May 19, 2019
- "My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight" (fingerstyle intro) by John Prine
May 17, 2019
- Outlaw fingerstyle warmup ("Sleeping on the Blacktop") by Colter Wall
May 11, 2019
- First Call (horse racing / military bugle wake-up call)
May 4, 2019
- Imagine by John Lennon
May 2, 2019
- Jenny of Oldstones from Game of Thrones
Apr 23, 2019
- Wildflowers by Tom Petty
Apr 20, 2019
- Breezy strumming on E-Bsus4-Asus2 (Warm Up #18)
Apr 18, 2019
- How I composed a fingerstyle guitar arrangement (Practice Log #12)
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.