Guitar lesson for
Echame La Culpa
Chords needed (no capo)
The entire song uses these four chords, in this order, over and over. For the F, feel free to only play the middle four strings to make things easier:
E ––(1)––0–––3–––0––– B –––1–––1–––3–––1––– G –––2–––0–––0–––2––– D –––3–––2–––0–––2––– A –––3–––3–––2–––0––– E ––(1)––––––3––––––– F C G Am
Chords needed (capo 5)
If you want to avoid the F chord, you can play the song with these 4 chords using a capo on the 5th fret.
E –––0–––3–––2–––0––– B –––1–––0–––3–––0––– G –––0–––0–––2–––0––– D –––2–––0–––0–––2––– A –––3–––2–––––––2––– E –––––––3–––––––0––– C G D Em
Lyrics with chords
Using just the chorus as an example, here’s how you’d play the chords along with the song:
F I don't really, really wanna fight anymore C I don't really, really wanna fake it no more G Play me like The Beatles, baby, just let it be Am So come and put the blame on me, yeah
And so on.
First, understand that we want to accept the 2 and the 4 counts. If we look at two measures (8 beats total), this would look like this:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D D D
From there, we’ll want to mute (silence) all of the strings on the 3 count. Do this while keeping the accent on the 2 and 4 beats.
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D x D D x D
Next, add an up strum on the “2 +” count of each measure.
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D U x D D U x D
And from there, add an up strum to the “1 +” count.
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + U D U x D U D U x D
Then, practice removing the “2” count down strum.
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + U U x D U U x D
Finally, try mixing and matching all of the above! For example, you’ll hear this on the album quite a bit:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + U U x D U D U x D
Let me know if you have questions. I hope this was helpful.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Stairway to Heaven (Interlude) by Led Zeppelin
- Yesterday (full lesson) by The Beatles
June 8, 2019
- An easier way to play F#m (no barre chord required)
June 4, 2019
- Yesterday (cover) by The Beatles
May 27, 2019
- How I change my acoustic guitar strings
May 19, 2019
- "My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight" (fingerstyle intro) by John Prine
May 17, 2019
- Outlaw fingerstyle warmup ("Sleeping on the Blacktop") by Colter Wall
May 11, 2019
- First Call (horse racing / military bugle wake-up call)
May 4, 2019
- Imagine by John Lennon
May 2, 2019
- Jenny of Oldstones from Game of Thrones
Apr 23, 2019
- Wildflowers by Tom Petty
Apr 20, 2019
- Breezy strumming on E-Bsus4-Asus2 (Warm Up #18)
Apr 18, 2019
- How I composed a fingerstyle guitar arrangement (Practice Log #12)
Apr 13, 2019
- If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett
Apr 10, 2019
- Triad exercises w/ A, D, & E (Warm Up #17)
Mar 30, 2019
- Travis picking finger technique (Practice Log #11)
Mar 22, 2019
- Let Him Roll by Guy Clark
Mar 17, 2019
- Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Mar 15, 2019
- Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mar 9, 2019
- Adding flourish to C-F-G-Am
Mar 7, 2019
- The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Mar 3, 2019
- Always Remember Us This Way from A Star is Born
Feb 28, 2019
- Cowboy chords & walking bass lines (Warm Up #16)
Feb 23, 2019
- Improv blues guitar in A-minor
Feb 21, 2019
- St James Infirmary Blues
Feb 16, 2019
- Barre chord strength & Smells Like Teen Spirit (Warm Up #15)
Feb 14, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of D w/ major & minor triads (Warm Up #14)
Feb 10, 2019
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.