Guitar lesson for
Print-friendly version of this lesson
For a print-ready PDF of this lesson, become a supporter on my Patreon page. For a few bucks a month, you get access to PDFs of all my new lessons.
Lyrics w/ chords
* capo 2nd fret INTRO E ––0––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E ––0––|––––––––––––––– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––0––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– x1 G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– x1 G ––2––|––2–2––2–2––2–– x2 D ––2––|––––––––––––––– D ––0––|––––––––––––––– D ––3––|––––––––––––––– A ––3––|––––––––––––––– A ––2––|––––––––––––––– A –––––|––––––––––––––– E –––––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E –––––|––––––––––––––– C G Fmaj7 VERSE C Would you believe me now... G Fmaj7 If I told you I got caught up in a wave, almost gave it away C Would you hear me out... G Fmaj7 If I told you I was terrified for days, thought I was gonna break PRE-CHORUS Am G Oh, I couldn't stop it, tried to slow it all down Fmaj7 Crying in the bathroom, had to figure it out Am G Fmaj7 With everyone around me saying, "You must be so happy now" CHORUS C G Oh, if you keep reaching out, then I'll keep coming back Fmaj7 And if you're gone for good, then I'm okay with that Am G Em Fmaj7 ...If you leave the light on, then I'll leave the light on C And do you believe me now G Fmaj7 That I always had the best intentions, babe? Always wanted to stay... C Can you feel me now G Fmaj7 That I'm vulnerable in oh-so many ways? Oh, and I'll never change Am G Oh, I couldn't stop it, tried to figure it out Fmaj7 But everything kept moving, and the noise got too loud Am G With everyone around me saying, "you should be so happy now" [chorus] Am G Fadd9 ...Oh, leave the light on Am G Fadd9 ...Oh, would you leave the light on [chorus]
Chord shapes used
E –––0––––3––––0––––0––––0––– B –––1––––3––––1––––1––––0––– G –––0––––0––––2––––2––––0––– D –––2––––0––––3––––2––––2––– A –––3––––2–––––––––0––––2––– E ––––––––3––––––––––––––0––– C G Fmaj7 Am Em
Intro tab, easiest version
The easiest way to approach this is to put your hands in the chord shapes below, and simply remove & add your left index finger to the 1st fret of the 2nd string.
E ––0––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E ––0––|––––––––––––––– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––0––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– <== left index finger G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– G ––2––|––2–2––2–2––2–– used on this string for D ––2––|––––––––––––––– D ––0––|––––––––––––––– D ––3––|––––––––––––––– the on/off melody note A ––3––|––––––––––––––– A ––2––|––––––––––––––– A –––––|––––––––––––––– on all 3 chords E –––––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E –––––|––––––––––––––– C G Fmaj7
Intro tab, advanced
Here’s the full tab, with the pulsing bass notes.
E ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– B –––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0–––––––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0–––––––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0–––––––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0––––– G –––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0–––––––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0–––––––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0–––––––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0––––– D ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– A –3–––––––––––3–––––––3–––––––3––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– E –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––3–––––––––––3–––––––3–––––––3–––1–––––––––––1–––––––1–––––––1–––1–––––––––––1–––––––1–––––––1––– C G Fmaj7 Fmaj7 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a
Here’s the timing chart I used when training my fingers to play their parts independently. I practice this by rhythmically knocking my right-hand thumb and index/middle fingers against a table (or steering wheel, or my pants, etc) until I could do the pattern without thinking about it. Then, I translated it to guitar (with my left hand doing the fretting and chord changes). It was hard, but I got it. If you want to learn this, have patience!
Melody rhythm => | O 0 O O 0 | O = index finger on | 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a | 0 = index finger off Thumb rhythm => | x x x x |
Best videos of this song
This is my favorite. Solo acoustic guitar, all shot in one live take, her friends singing the chorus as a group. Released the week before her first album goes out into the world. So happy for her.
There’s also her SNL performance which I’ll include for fun. Less acoustic, but still good I think:
And finally, here’s the Spotify Singles version of this song, which has a great acoustic vibe:
Thanks for reading! I hope this helped you.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Jenny of Oldstones from Game of Thrones
Apr 23, 2019
- Wildflowers by Tom Petty
Apr 20, 2019
- Breezy strumming on E-Bsus4-Asus2 (Warm Up #18)
Apr 18, 2019
- How I composed a fingerstyle guitar arrangement (Practice Log #12)
Apr 13, 2019
- If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett
Apr 10, 2019
- Triad exercises w/ A, D, & E (Warm Up #17)
Mar 30, 2019
- Travis picking finger technique (Practice Log #11)
Mar 22, 2019
- Let Him Roll by Guy Clark
Mar 17, 2019
- Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Mar 15, 2019
- Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mar 9, 2019
- Adding flourish to C-F-G-Am
Mar 7, 2019
- The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Mar 3, 2019
- Always Remember Us This Way from A Star is Born
Feb 28, 2019
- Cowboy chords & walking bass lines (Warm Up #16)
Feb 23, 2019
- Improv blues guitar in A-minor
Feb 21, 2019
- St James Infirmary Blues
Feb 16, 2019
- Barre chord strength & Smells Like Teen Spirit (Warm Up #15)
Feb 14, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of D w/ major & minor triads (Warm Up #14)
Feb 10, 2019
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.