Guitar lesson for
They Can't See
Chords needed for 99% of the song
You’ll need to be able to play these chords. The C#m is most certainly going to the hardest of these, especially if you’ve never played barre chords before. If this vexes you, stay tuned – you can likely fake your way through the song and pull off the C#m without barring the full 4th fret.
E ––––0–––––4–––––0–––––0––––– B ––––0–––––5–––––2–––––0––––– G ––––1–––––6–––––2–––––2––––– D ––––2–––––6–––––2–––––2––––– A ––––2–––––4–––––0–––––0––––– E ––––0––––––––––––––––––––––– E C#m A Asus2
Pretty much the entire song uses this riff. You’re on each of these chords for a single measure (basically 4 counts), but what makes things interesting is how you’re only plucking 3 of the stirngs for each chord.
E –|–––––––––––––––|––––––––(4)––––|–––––––––––––––|––––––––––(0)––|– B –|–––––––––––––––|––5––––––––––––|––2––0–––––––––|––0––––––––––––|– G –|––1––––––––––––|––6––––––––––––|––2––2–––––––––|––1––––––––––––|– D –|––2––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––|– A –|–––––––––––––––|––4––––––––––––|––0––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––|– E –|––0––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––|––0––––––––––––|– E C#m A E
Understand that for each chord above, your left hand should be in the normal position for that chord:
E –|––0––––––––––––|––4––––––––––––|––0––––––––––––|––0––––––––––––|– B –|––0––––––––––––|––5––––––––––––|––2––––––––––––|––0––––––––––––|– G –|––1––––––––––––|––6––––––––––––|––2––––––––––––|––1––––––––––––|– D –|––2––––––––––––|––6––––––––––––|––2––––––––––––|––2––––––––––––|– A –|––2––––––––––––|––4––––––––––––|––0––––––––––––|––2––––––––––––|– E –|––0––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––|––0––––––––––––|– E C#m A E
But on your picking hand, your fingers are only targeting the strings that need to be played.
For the E,
E ––(0)––– B ––(0)––– G –––1–––– <-- right middle finger D –––2–––– <-- right index finger A ––(2)––– E –––0–––– <-- right thumb E
For the C#m,
E ––(4)––– B –––5–––– <-- right middle finger G –––6–––– <-- right index finger D ––(6)––– A –––4–––– <-- right thumb E –––––––– C#m
For the A,
E ––(0)––– B –––2–––– <-- right middle finger G –––2–––– <-- right index finger D ––(2)––– A –––0–––– <-- right thumb E –––––––– A
And so on. Feel free to slightly deviate from these tabs if you wish (it sounds like Micahel Tyler does from time to time).
You’ll also need an F#m and B chords for the bridge (in addition to a C#m, which is shown above). Use the same strumming / fingerpicking approach shown above for those chords. If you can’t play a regular B, you can sub in a B7.
–––2––––2––––2–––– –––2––––4––––0–––– –––2––––4––––2–––– –––4––––4––––1–––– –––4––––2––––2–––– –––2–––––––––––––– F#m B B7
I hope this was helpful! This is a fun song – and that single progression isn’t a ton to memorize. Enjoy.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Let Him Roll by Guy Clark
Mar 17, 2019
- Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Mar 15, 2019
- Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mar 9, 2019
- Adding flourish to C-F-G-Am
Mar 7, 2019
- The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Mar 3, 2019
- Always Remember Us This Way from A Star is Born
Feb 28, 2019
- Cowboy chords & walking bass lines (Warm Up #16)
Feb 23, 2019
- Improv blues guitar in A-minor
Feb 21, 2019
- St James Infirmary Blues
Feb 16, 2019
- Barre chord strength & Smells Like Teen Spirit (Warm Up #15)
Feb 14, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of D w/ major & minor triads (Warm Up #14)
Feb 10, 2019
- Copperhead Road by Steve Earle
Feb 7, 2019
- Guantanamera by Pete Seeger
Jan 31, 2019
- "Blue on Black" grooving on D5-Cadd9-G (Warm Up #13)
Jan 26, 2019
- Adding fills to the "Wild Horses" intro (Practice Log #9)
Jan 24, 2019
- Light On by Maggie Rogers
Jan 19, 2019
- Improvised pickin' on The Gambler (Practice Log #8)
Jan 17, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of A
Jan 12, 2019
- My Top Lessons of 2018
Jan 8, 2019
- Heart of Gold by Neil Young
Jan 5, 2019
- Auld Lang Syne (traditional)
Dec 31, 2018
- Faking open chords in key of E
Dec 27, 2018
- Last Christmas by Wham!
Dec 24, 2018
- Please Come Home for Christmas by The Eagles
Dec 17, 2018
- Guitar chords on a ukulele
Dec 13, 2018
- Slap strumming basics (percussive rhythm technique)
Dec 8, 2018
- How to practice with a backing track, feat. Tennessee Whiskey (Practice Log #7)
Dec 1, 2018
- Playing A-major with big fingers or a small fretboard
Nov 27, 2018
- E-major backyard groove (feat. Posters by Jack Johnson)
Nov 21, 2018
- How to play F#m (F sharp minor)
Nov 18, 2018
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.