Guitar lesson for
Here’s my guitar lesson:
And here’s the official music video if you want to jam along. I dig it!
The entire song uses a F-Am progression (with a D-minor thrown in a few times as a transitional chord).
Barre chords: Slightly simplified: E ––––––––––––––––– E –––––––––––––1––– B –––––––––––––6––– B ––––––––1––––3––– G –––2–––––––––7––– G –––2––––2––––2––– D –––3––––7––––7––– D –––3––––2––––0––– A –––3––––7––––5––– A –––3––––0–––––––– E –––1––––5–––––––– E –––1––––––––––––– F Am Dm F Am Dm
Timing-wise, understand this is the counting. 8 counts on each chord.
F Am 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
When the D-minor is occasionally used, it happens on the final 2 counts before the A-minor:
F Dm Am 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
Main riff tab
Play the main riff like this:
E –––––––––––––––––– E –––––––––––––––––– B –––––––––––––––––– B –––––––––––––––––– G ––––––––2–x–––2––– G ––––––––-––––––––– D ––––––––3–x–––3––– x4 D ––––––––7–x–––7––– x4 A ––––––––3–x–––3––– A ––––––––7–x–––7––– E ––1––––––––––––––– E ––5––––––––––––––– F Am
If you want to simplify the A-minor, play it like this:
E –––––––––––––––––– E –––––––––––––––––– B –––––––––––––––––– B –––––––(1)x––––––– G ––––––––2–x–––2––– G ––––––––2–x–––2––– D ––––––––3–x–––3––– x4 D ––––––––2–x–––2––– x4 A ––––––––3–x–––3––– A ––0––––––––––––––– E ––1––––––––––––––– E –––––––––––––––––– F Am
When the D-minor comes in, do this:
E –––––––––––––––––– E –––––––(1)x––––––– E –––––––––––––––––– B –––––––––––––––––– B ––––––––3–x–––3––– B –––––––(1)x––––––– G ––––––––2–x–––2––– G ––––––––2–x–––2––– G ––––––––2–x–––2––– D ––––––––3–x–––3––– x3 D ––0––––––––––––––– x1 D ––––––––2–x–––2––– x4 A ––––––––3–x–––3––– A –––––––––––––––––– A ––0––––––––––––––– E ––1––––––––––––––– E –––––––––––––––––– E –––––––––––––––––– F Dm Am
That’s all you need!
Thanks for reading! I hope this helped you.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- How I change my acoustic guitar strings
May 19, 2019
- "My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight" (fingerstyle intro) by John Prine
May 17, 2019
- Outlaw fingerstyle warmup ("Sleeping on the Blacktop") by Colter Wall
May 11, 2019
- First Call (horse racing / military bugle wake-up call)
May 4, 2019
- Imagine by John Lennon
May 2, 2019
- Jenny of Oldstones from Game of Thrones
Apr 23, 2019
- Wildflowers by Tom Petty
Apr 20, 2019
- Breezy strumming on E-Bsus4-Asus2 (Warm Up #18)
Apr 18, 2019
- How I composed a fingerstyle guitar arrangement (Practice Log #12)
Apr 13, 2019
- If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett
Apr 10, 2019
- Triad exercises w/ A, D, & E (Warm Up #17)
Mar 30, 2019
- Travis picking finger technique (Practice Log #11)
Mar 22, 2019
- Let Him Roll by Guy Clark
Mar 17, 2019
- Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Mar 15, 2019
- Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mar 9, 2019
- Adding flourish to C-F-G-Am
Mar 7, 2019
- The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Mar 3, 2019
- Always Remember Us This Way from A Star is Born
Feb 28, 2019
- Cowboy chords & walking bass lines (Warm Up #16)
Feb 23, 2019
- Improv blues guitar in A-minor
Feb 21, 2019
- St James Infirmary Blues
Feb 16, 2019
- Barre chord strength & Smells Like Teen Spirit (Warm Up #15)
Feb 14, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of D w/ major & minor triads (Warm Up #14)
Feb 10, 2019
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.