Guitar lesson for
Where Rainbows Never Die
Here’s the main riff you hear, which is repeated in the intro and verse.
e –|––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––3––3––3––3––|– B –|––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––3––3––3––3––|– G –|–––––2––––––––2–––––2–––––––––––––––––0––0––0––0––|– D –|––0–––––––––––2–––––2––––––––4––––––––0––0––0––0––|– A –|–––––––––––0–––––0–––––0––2–––––––––––2––2––2––2––|– E –|––––––––3–––––––––––––––––––––––2––3––3––3––3––3––|– 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D A Bm G
Alternate ending to the riff
And, here’s the version of the riff with the special ending, heard on the 3rd playthrough of the intro. For the 4th playthrough, they go back to the “main” riff shown above.
e –|–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––3––––––––|– B –|–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––3––––––––|– G –|–––––2––––––––2–––––2––––––––0–––––––––––0––––––––|– D –|––0–––––––––––2–––––2–––––––––––4––0–––––0–––––0––|– A –|–––––––––––0–––––0–––––0––2––––––––––––––2––0h2–––|– E –|––––––––3–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––3––3––––––––|– 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D A Bm G
How to practice the riff when learning it
Here’s what I practiced over and over while first learning the riff. The focus here is learning (1) the chords, and (2) the bass note transitions. Don’t worry about the timing (yet) and don’t worry about the precise melodic bass notes (yet). Once you get this down, then you can worry about those.
e –|–––––2––– ––––––––––– –––––––(2)– ––––––––3–––––– B –|–––––3––– ––––––––2–– ––––––––3–– ––––––––3–––––– G –|–––––2––– ––––––––2–– ––––––––4–– ––––––––0–––––– D –|––0–––––– ––––––––2–– ––––––––4–– ––––––––0–––––– A –|––––––––– –––––0––––– ––0––2––––– ––––––––x–––––– E –|––––––––– ––3–––––––– ––––––––––– ––2––3––––––––– D A Bm G
Chords needed for the song
Here’s the normal way you play the chords used in this song:
e –––2––––0––––3––––2–––– B –––3––––2––––3––––3–––– G –––2––––2––––0––––4–––– D –––0––––2––––0––––4–––– A ––––––––0––––2––––2–––– E –––––––––––––3––––––––– D A G Bm
But for the intro, I recommend the following voicings / finger positions:
e –––––––– x--- don't play this string B –––2–––– <--- left hand index finger (barred) G –––2–––– <--- left hand index finger (barred) D –––2–––– <--- left hand index finger (barred) A –––0–––– E –––––––– A e –––3–––– <--- left hand pinky finger B –––3–––– <--- left hand ring finger G –––0–––– D –––0–––– A –––x–––– x--- don't play this string (mute it) E –––3–––– <--- left hand middle finger G
Want to learn the rest of the song?
Let me know! If there’s enough interest, I can get around to adding chords and lyrics for the entire song.
Thanks for reading! I hope this helped you. Questions? Comments? Requests? Let me know!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Let Him Roll by Guy Clark
Mar 17, 2019
- Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Mar 15, 2019
- Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mar 9, 2019
- Adding flourish to C-F-G-Am
Mar 7, 2019
- The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Mar 3, 2019
- Always Remember Us This Way from A Star is Born
Feb 28, 2019
- Cowboy chords & walking bass lines (Warm Up #16)
Feb 23, 2019
- Improv blues guitar in A-minor
Feb 21, 2019
- St James Infirmary Blues
Feb 16, 2019
- Barre chord strength & Smells Like Teen Spirit (Warm Up #15)
Feb 14, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of D w/ major & minor triads (Warm Up #14)
Feb 10, 2019
- Copperhead Road by Steve Earle
Feb 7, 2019
- Guantanamera by Pete Seeger
Jan 31, 2019
- "Blue on Black" grooving on D5-Cadd9-G (Warm Up #13)
Jan 26, 2019
- Adding fills to the "Wild Horses" intro (Practice Log #9)
Jan 24, 2019
- Light On by Maggie Rogers
Jan 19, 2019
- Improvised pickin' on The Gambler (Practice Log #8)
Jan 17, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of A
Jan 12, 2019
- My Top Lessons of 2018
Jan 8, 2019
- Heart of Gold by Neil Young
Jan 5, 2019
- Auld Lang Syne (traditional)
Dec 31, 2018
- Faking open chords in key of E
Dec 27, 2018
- Last Christmas by Wham!
Dec 24, 2018
- Please Come Home for Christmas by The Eagles
Dec 17, 2018
- Guitar chords on a ukulele
Dec 13, 2018
- Slap strumming basics (percussive rhythm technique)
Dec 8, 2018
- How to practice with a backing track, feat. Tennessee Whiskey (Practice Log #7)
Dec 1, 2018
- Playing A-major with big fingers or a small fretboard
Nov 27, 2018
- E-major backyard groove (feat. Posters by Jack Johnson)
Nov 21, 2018
- How to play F#m (F sharp minor)
Nov 18, 2018
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.