Guitar lesson for
Here’s my lesson, including a play-through with chords and tabs overlaid. Please refer to this when using everything further down this page – everything I play here, I explain below.
E –––0––––3––––0––––1––––2–––– B –––1––––0––––1––––1––––3–––– G –––0––––0––––2––––2––––2–––– D –––2––––0––––2––––3––––0–––– A –––3––––2––––0––––3––––––––– E ––––––––3–––––––––1––––––––– C G Am F D
This one is pretty straightforward. There’s three main chunks to memorize.
First, the verse. Note that there are a few times in the Sublime version where Bradley slips in an A-minor in place of a G, for some of the chords. This was probably because the song was recorded under what sounds like casual circumstances – some free play is not to be surprising.
"Maybe one breath away..." C . . . G . . . C . . . G . . . x2
Second, the start of the chorus (if you can call it that).
"I don't know if I can..." C . . . Am . . . C . . . Am . . . x1
Third, the turnaround (end of the chorus). Immediately after this, you’ll begin the next verse (return to C).
"Mary baby, please don't fuss and fight" F . . . F . . . D . G .
Lyrics with chords
C G C G Maybe one breath away... I'll find the words to say C G C G ...I'll sit and light the bong... I'll hold my hit in real long C Am C Am F ...I don't know if I can... go up inside of you tonight (F) D G Oh, Mary baby... please don't fuss and fight C Am ...You've heard the line before... C G Mary, baby please don't think I'm a whore C G C ...If you come home to me turn off the lights... G And lock up the doors, and start getting busy C Am C Am F ...I don't know if I can, go so far up inside you tonight (F) D G Oh, Mary baby I could do it right C G C G ...When we got to the pad... Mary baby started calling me her dad C Am C G ...Yes, she gave me head... we could not find a damn bed C Am C Am ...Fifteen years old plus one, hotter than a microwave oven F D G C ...Oh Mary baby, daddy is coming home
Mini verse riff
At the end of the chorus (the final G before you begin the C-Am-C-Am section), you’ll often hear something like this. Here’s how I play it… watch my video for context.
E ––––3––––––––––––––––0––––– B ––––0––––––––––––––––1––––– G ––––0––––––––––––––––0––––– D ––––0––––––––––––0–––2––––– A ––––2––––––––––2–––––3––––– E ––––3––––––––3––––––––––––– G C
I hope that helps!
Let me know if you have questions. Are there any other Sublime songs you’d like to see lessons for? Hit me up, and I may add them!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Light On by Maggie Rogers
Jan 19, 2019
- Improvised pickin' on The Gambler (Practice Log #8)
Jan 17, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of A
Jan 12, 2019
- My Top Lessons of 2018
Jan 8, 2019
- Heart of Gold by Neil Young
Jan 5, 2019
- Auld Lang Syne (traditional)
Dec 31, 2018
- Faking open chords in key of E
Dec 27, 2018
- Last Christmas by Wham!
Dec 24, 2018
- Please Come Home for Christmas by The Eagles
Dec 17, 2018
- Guitar chords on a ukulele
Dec 13, 2018
- Slap strumming basics (percussive rhythm technique)
Dec 8, 2018
- How to practice with a backing track, feat. Tennessee Whiskey (Practice Log #7)
Dec 1, 2018
- Playing A-major with big fingers or a small fretboard
Nov 27, 2018
- E-major backyard groove (feat. Posters by Jack Johnson)
Nov 21, 2018
- How to play F#m (F sharp minor)
Nov 18, 2018
- Spicing up a 2-chord song feat. Tennessee Whiskey (Practice Log #6)
Nov 15, 2018
- Adding pinky accent notes to a chord progression (Practice Log #5)
Nov 11, 2018
- Adding pentatonic licks w/ strumming in A-minor (Warm Up #9)
Nov 8, 2018
- Maybe It's Time from A Star is Born
Nov 4, 2018
- Palm muting basics
Oct 31, 2018
- "One Horse Town" riffing on A-minor and C (Warm Up #8)
Oct 28, 2018
- Transitioning between Em7 - D/F# - G (Warm Up #7)
Oct 24, 2018
- "Pretty Woman" lick, played 4 ways
Oct 13, 2018
- Shallow by Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga
Oct 11, 2018
- Mudfootball G-D7 shuffle (Warm Up #6)
Oct 7, 2018
- A-minor murder ballad groove (Warm Up #5)
Oct 2, 2018
- How to play Fadd9
Sept 27, 2018
- Blaze Foley country strumming (Warm Up #4)
Sept 25, 2018
- Acid Tongue by Jenny Lewis
Sept 22, 2018
- "Sultans of Swing" chorus lick (Warm Up #3)
Sept 19, 2018
- Learning how to Travis Pick with "Clay Pigeons"
Sept 13, 2018
- Lady May by Tyler Childers
Sept 7, 2018
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.