Guitar lesson for
On the Road Again
- 0:00 Greeting & lesson agenda
- 1:48 Chords needed
- 5:30 Strumming pattern
- 7:04 Verse & chorus progressions
Capo 4th fret to play with Willie
On this page, I’m teaching this song using chords in the key of C (which are easier to play than the key of E, which is what Willie uses). Add a capo on the 4th fret, using chords in C, to play with Willie. Otherwise, a capo isn’t needed.
Lyrics with chords
VERSE C E On the road again... just can't wait to get on the road again Dm The life I love is making music with my friends F G C And I can't wait to get on the road again C E On the road again... going places that I've never been Dm Seeing things that I may never see again F G C And I can't wait to get on the road again CHORUS F C On the road again... like a band of gypsies we go down highway F C We're the best of friends... insisting that the world keep turning our way G (silence chord) And our way... SOLO (use verse chords) CHORUS (repeat same chorus above) VERSE C E ...is on the road again just can't wait to get on the road again Dm The life I love is making music with my friends F G C And I can't wait to get on the road again
How to play the chords
Here’s the easiest way to play the chords. Of course, I’m showing a simplified F below (use a full F if your’e able to play it). You can also use an E7 and G7 if you wish - but these aren’t required.
E –––0–––1–––0–––––––3––– B –––1–––3–––0–––1–––0––– G –––0–––2–––1–––2–––0––– D –––2–––0–––2–––3–––0––– A –––3–––––––2–––3–––2––– E –––––––––––0–––––––3––– C Dm E F G
To keep things simple, I recommend all downstrums (4 per measure) with accents on the 2 and 4 counts. See my video lesson for some context here.
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D D D > >
"On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again..." C . . . C . . . C . . . C . . . E . . . E . . . E . . . E . . . Dm . . . Dm . . . F . . . G . . . C . . . C . . .
"On the road again, like a band of gypsies we go down the highway..." F . . . F . . . F . . . F . . . C . . . C . . . F . . . F . . . F . . . F . . . C . . . C . . . G . . . G . . .
Thanks for reading! I hope this helped you. Questions? Comments? Requests? Let me know!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Fingerpicking C-G-Am-F (Vampire Weekend's "Hold You Now")
July 16, 2019
- You've Got a Friend in Me (fingerstyle intro)
July 5, 2019
- Ring finger barre strength exercise
June 26, 2019
- F chord with wrapped thumb (for fingerstyle)
June 21, 2019
- Stairway to Heaven (Interlude) by Led Zeppelin
- Yesterday (full lesson) by The Beatles
June 8, 2019
- An easier way to play F#m (no barre chord required)
June 4, 2019
- Yesterday (cover) by The Beatles
May 27, 2019
- How I change my acoustic guitar strings
May 19, 2019
- "My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight" (fingerstyle intro) by John Prine
May 17, 2019
- Outlaw fingerstyle warmup ("Sleeping on the Blacktop") by Colter Wall
May 11, 2019
- First Call (horse racing / military bugle wake-up call)
May 4, 2019
- Imagine by John Lennon
May 2, 2019
- Jenny of Oldstones from Game of Thrones
Apr 23, 2019
- Wildflowers by Tom Petty
Apr 20, 2019
- Breezy strumming on E-Bsus4-Asus2 (Warm Up #18)
Apr 18, 2019
- How I composed a fingerstyle guitar arrangement (Practice Log #12)
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.