Guitar lesson for
On the Road Again
- 0:00 Greeting & lesson agenda
- 1:48 Chords needed
- 5:30 Strumming pattern
- 7:04 Verse & chorus progressions
Capo 4th fret to play with Willie
On this page, I’m teaching this song using chords in the key of C (which are easier to play than the key of E, which is what Willie uses). Add a capo on the 4th fret, using chords in C, to play with Willie. Otherwise, a capo isn’t needed.
Lyrics with chords
VERSE C E On the road again... just can't wait to get on the road again Dm The life I love is making music with my friends F G C And I can't wait to get on the road again C E On the road again... going places that I've never been Dm Seeing things that I may never see again F G C And I can't wait to get on the road again CHORUS F C On the road again... like a band of gypsies we go down highway F C We're the best of friends... insisting that the world keep turning our way G (silence chord) And our way... SOLO (use verse chords) CHORUS (repeat same chorus above) VERSE C E ...is on the road again just can't wait to get on the road again Dm The life I love is making music with my friends F G C And I can't wait to get on the road again
How to play the chords
Here’s the easiest way to play the chords. Of course, I’m showing a simplified F below (use a full F if your’e able to play it). You can also use an E7 and G7 if you wish - but these aren’t required.
E –––0–––1–––0–––––––3––– B –––1–––3–––0–––1–––0––– G –––0–––2–––1–––2–––0––– D –––2–––0–––2–––3–––0––– A –––3–––––––2–––3–––2––– E –––––––––––0–––––––3––– C Dm E F G
To keep things simple, I recommend all downstrums (4 per measure) with accents on the 2 and 4 counts. See my video lesson for some context here.
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D D D > >
"On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again..." C . . . C . . . C . . . C . . . E . . . E . . . E . . . E . . . Dm . . . Dm . . . F . . . G . . . C . . . C . . .
"On the road again, like a band of gypsies we go down the highway..." F . . . F . . . F . . . F . . . C . . . C . . . F . . . F . . . F . . . F . . . C . . . C . . . G . . . G . . .
Thanks for reading! I hope this helped you. Questions? Comments? Requests? Let me know!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Let Him Roll by Guy Clark
Mar 17, 2019
- Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Mar 15, 2019
- Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mar 9, 2019
- Adding flourish to C-F-G-Am
Mar 7, 2019
- The Gambler by Kenny Rogers
Mar 3, 2019
- Always Remember Us This Way from A Star is Born
Feb 28, 2019
- Cowboy chords & walking bass lines (Warm Up #16)
Feb 23, 2019
- Improv blues guitar in A-minor
Feb 21, 2019
- St James Infirmary Blues
Feb 16, 2019
- Barre chord strength & Smells Like Teen Spirit (Warm Up #15)
Feb 14, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of D w/ major & minor triads (Warm Up #14)
Feb 10, 2019
- Copperhead Road by Steve Earle
Feb 7, 2019
- Guantanamera by Pete Seeger
Jan 31, 2019
- "Blue on Black" grooving on D5-Cadd9-G (Warm Up #13)
Jan 26, 2019
- Adding fills to the "Wild Horses" intro (Practice Log #9)
Jan 24, 2019
- Light On by Maggie Rogers
Jan 19, 2019
- Improvised pickin' on The Gambler (Practice Log #8)
Jan 17, 2019
- Faking open chords in key of A
Jan 12, 2019
- My Top Lessons of 2018
Jan 8, 2019
- Heart of Gold by Neil Young
Jan 5, 2019
- Auld Lang Syne (traditional)
Dec 31, 2018
- Faking open chords in key of E
Dec 27, 2018
- Last Christmas by Wham!
Dec 24, 2018
- Please Come Home for Christmas by The Eagles
Dec 17, 2018
- Guitar chords on a ukulele
Dec 13, 2018
- Slap strumming basics (percussive rhythm technique)
Dec 8, 2018
- How to practice with a backing track, feat. Tennessee Whiskey (Practice Log #7)
Dec 1, 2018
- Playing A-major with big fingers or a small fretboard
Nov 27, 2018
- E-major backyard groove (feat. Posters by Jack Johnson)
Nov 21, 2018
- How to play F#m (F sharp minor)
Nov 18, 2018
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.