Guitar lesson for
PDF link for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 130+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this video I’ll teach you how to play the intro & verse riff of “All Apologies” by Nirvana – with tabs! I’ll include an easy version of the riff (using standard tuning), as well as a more full advanced version that closely matches what Kurt Cobain plays (using drop-D tuning). As I note in the video, Nirvana tunes everything down an additional half-step – though I’m not doing that in this lesson.
- 0:00 Playthrough and greeting
- 1:00 Simplified easy version
- 3:01 “Full” advanced version
- 6:55 Farewell
Quick note about tuning!
Nirvana plays with everything tuned down 1/2 step (E becomes Eb, A becomes Ab, etc). In my video lesson, I’m staying in standard tuning to keep things simple. There is an additional step (of tuning your low-E string down an extra whole step) which I’ll talk about later as well.
Easy version of the riff
If you’re just getting started, begin with this tab below. This will help you learn the notes. By “easy” I mean:
- Keeps your guitar in standard tuning
- Doesn’t require playing the sixth string at all
- Sounds less full, but is easier to learn
Here’s the tab:
E ||––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––––––|| B ||––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––––––|| G ||––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––11–11–9––––|| D ||––––––––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––/12–12–10–9––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––12–|| A ||––9––9––10–9–/12–12–10–9––|–––––9––10–9––––––––––––––|––9––9––10–9–/12–12–10–9––|–––––9––10–9–––––––––––––|| E ||––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––––––|| 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
Full & advanced version of the riff
Here’s how Nirvana plays it, for the most part. Note, they have their lowest string tuned down an extra whole step (from E down to D). And also, if you want to play along with Nirvana, tune all strings down an additional half step (Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb).
E ||––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––––––|| B ||––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––––––|| G ||––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––11–11–9––––|| D ||––––––––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––/12–12–10–9––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––0–––––––12–|| A ||––9––9––10–9–/12–12–10–9––|–––––9––10–9––0–––––––––––|––9––9––10–9–/12–12–10–9––|–––––9––10–9––0––––––––––|| D ||––0–––––0–––––0–––––––––––|––0–––––0–––––0–––––––––––|––0–––––0–––––0–––––––––––|––0–––––0–––––0––––––––––|| 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
If you’re having trouble adding those droning bass notes, start with this tab below – which admittedly over-applies the droning bass note. Once you get a feel for this, then you can dial it back and use the bass note enough to add some body, but not too much as to overwhelm things. See my video lesson for additional reference.
E ||––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––––––|| B ||––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––––––––––––––|| G ||––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––11–11–9––––|| D ||––––––––––––––––––––––––––|–––––––––––––/12–12–10–9––|––––––––––––––––––––––––––|––––––––––––––0–––––––12–|| A ||––9––9––10–9–/12–12–10–9––|–––––9––10–9––0–––––––––––|––9––9––10–9–/12–12–10–9––|–––––9––10–9––0––––––––––|| D ||––0––0––0––0––0––0––0––0––|––0––0––0––0––0–––––––––––|––0––0––0––0––0––0––0––0––|––0––0––0––0––0––––––––––|| 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
Thanks for reading! I hope this helped you. If you’d like to learn how to play the full song beyond this riff, let me know!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- I Walk The Line (Intro Riff) by Johnny Cash
Oct 19, 2019
- Lookin' Out My Back Door by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Oct 12, 2019
- Issues by Julia Michaels (PDF)
Oct 9, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns
Oct 6, 2019
- Gloria by The Lumineers
Oct 2, 2019
- Creep (PDF) by Radiohead
Sept 23, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See"
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Practice Log #14)
Sept 15, 2019
- Wagon Wheel (PDF) by Old Crow Medicine Show / Darius Rucker
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello)
- Plush (acoustic) by Stone Temple Pilots
Sept 6, 2019
- The Wind by Cat Stevens
Aug 30, 2019
- E Major 4-Finger Warmup Riff
Aug 24, 2019
- Peace of Mind by Tyler Childers
Aug 23, 2019
- Angel Flight by Radney Foster
Aug 17, 2019
- The Year Clayton Delaney Died (PDF) by Tom T. Hall
Aug 16, 2019
- California Dreamin' by Jose Feliciano
Aug 10, 2019
- We Are The Champions (PDF) by Queen
Aug 8, 2019
- 2-finger chords in the key of C
Aug 2, 2019
- On the Road Again (PDF) by Willie Nelson
July 31, 2019
- Surf Rider (from "Pulp Fiction") by The Lively Ones
July 24, 2019
- Fingerpicking C-G-Am-F (Vampire Weekend's "Hold You Now")
July 16, 2019
- You've Got a Friend in Me (fingerstyle intro)
July 5, 2019
- Ring finger barre strength exercise
June 26, 2019