Guitar lesson for
Honky Tonk Heroes
PDF link for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 130+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
E –––2––––2––––3––––2––––0––––0––––2–––––– B –––3––––1––––0––––0––––3––––2––––3–––––– G –––2––––2––––0––––2––––1––––0––––2–––––– D –––0––––0––––0––––1––––2––––2––––4–––––– A –––––––––––––2––––2––––2––––0––––––––––– E –––––––––––––3–––––––––0–––––––––––––––– D D7 G B7 E7 A7 D/F#
The following tab shows the foundation of this intro. This focuses on the main chords you need to hit, and also the transitional notes that walk up and down between each chords. Note, what I’m not showing is the more intricate filler notes you can play when you’re hanging out on each chord. Watch to my video lesson for specifics here – you can hear me playing notes that aren’t tabbed out, but again – these are filler, and can be played (or ignored) as per your desired skill level.
E ––––––––––––––2–––––––––––––––––––––––––––2––––––––––– B ––––––––––––––3–––––––––––––––––––––––––––0––––––––––– G ––––––––––––––2–––––––––––––––––––––––––––2––––––––––– D –––––––––––0––0––––––––––––––––––0––––––––1––––––––––– A ––0––2––4–––––––––––––––––––––––––––4––2––2––––––––––– E –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– D B7 "Low down leaving sun..." E ––––––0–––––––0––––––––2––––––––––––––––––2––––––––––– B ––––––3–––––––2––––––––3––––––––––––––––––3––––––––––– G ––––––1–––––––0––––––––2––––––––––––––––––2––––––––––– D ––2–––2–––––––2–––––0––0––––––––––0–2–3–4–4––––––––––– A –––––(2)–––0––0–––––––––––––0–2–4––––––––––––––––––––– E –––––(0)–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– E7 A7 D D
If it isn’t clear or you need more help, note the intro uses this general timing per the main chord placement:
D B7 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + "Low down leaving sun..." E7 A7 D D/F# 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +
That being said, here’s a few minor notes to help you nail this one:
- The first 3 notes, leading up to the first D chord, happen on the final “+ 4 +” of the preceding measure. That is, the “1” count of the next measure should be the open D (4th) string, as part of the “D” chord – which lasts for an entire measure.
- The final D chord is technically a D/F# – and the 6 notes that lead up to the F# note (4th fret on the D string) are triplets. What this means: they happen on the “3 + 4 + “ of the final measure, and each of these final two beats receives three evenly distributed notes. If this isn’t clear, see my video! This final measure is a bit tricky… especially since you start singing during this run of notes (align the lyric “down” with the first pluck of the 4th fret of the D string).
Verse chord progression
Very similar to the intro, you just play around a bit more on the D (adding a D7 and G) before moving to the B7 / E7 / A7 etc.
D • • • D • • • D7 • • • G • • • G • • • D • B7 • E7 • • • A7 • • •
Keep it simple to start with:
Down... down up, down... down up, down... down up, down...
Or written out with the counting:
1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + D D U D D U D D U D D U > > > >
For the second half of the song, Jennings picks up the tempo big time. At that point, you can adjust this if you want however you see fit.
Lyrics w/ chords
D Low down leaving sun D7 G Done, did everything that needs done D B7 Woe is me... why can't I see... E7 A7 I'd best be leaving well enough alone D Them neon light nights, couldn't stay out of fights D7 G Keep a-haunting me in memo---ries D B7 Well, there's one in every crowd, for crying out loud... E7 A7 Why was it always turning out to be me? D Where does it go? The good Lord only knows D7 G Seems like it was just the other day D B7 I was down at Green Gables, hawking them tables E7 A7 And generally blowing all my hard earned pay D Piano rolled blues, danced holes in my shoes D7 G There weren't another other way to be D B7 For lovable losers, no account boozers E7 A7 D And honky tonk heroes like me.... hey hey (start heavier strumming) (for remaining verses, use same chords) Where does it go? The good Lord only knows [...] Piano rolled blues, danced holes in my shoes [...] Where does it go? The good Lord only knows [...] Piano rolled blues, danced holes in my shoes [...]
Thanks for reading! I hope this helped you. Questions? Comments? Requests? Let me know!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- I Walk The Line (Intro Riff) by Johnny Cash
Oct 19, 2019
- Lookin' Out My Back Door by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Oct 12, 2019
- Issues by Julia Michaels (PDF)
Oct 9, 2019
- How to read & write strumming patterns
Oct 6, 2019
- Gloria by The Lumineers
Oct 2, 2019
- Creep (PDF) by Radiohead
Sept 23, 2019
- Riffin' on D-Cadd9-G with "Thank You" and "Can't You See"
Sept 21, 2019
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Practice Log #14)
Sept 15, 2019
- Wagon Wheel (PDF) by Old Crow Medicine Show / Darius Rucker
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello)
- Plush (acoustic) by Stone Temple Pilots
Sept 6, 2019
- The Wind by Cat Stevens
Aug 30, 2019
- E Major 4-Finger Warmup Riff
Aug 24, 2019
- Peace of Mind by Tyler Childers
Aug 23, 2019
- Angel Flight by Radney Foster
Aug 17, 2019
- The Year Clayton Delaney Died (PDF) by Tom T. Hall
Aug 16, 2019
- California Dreamin' by Jose Feliciano
Aug 10, 2019
- We Are The Champions (PDF) by Queen
Aug 8, 2019
- 2-finger chords in the key of C
Aug 2, 2019
- On the Road Again (PDF) by Willie Nelson
July 31, 2019
- Surf Rider (from "Pulp Fiction") by The Lively Ones
July 24, 2019
- Fingerpicking C-G-Am-F (Vampire Weekend's "Hold You Now")
July 16, 2019
- You've Got a Friend in Me (fingerstyle intro)
July 5, 2019
- Ring finger barre strength exercise
June 26, 2019