Warm Up Exercise #22
Latin Bassline Groove from "Senriorita"
PDF link for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 130+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this lesson I’ll show you a warm up exercise based on the song Senriorita by Shawn Mendes and Camilla Cabello. This exercise specifically focuses on the bassline heard during the song. I’ll start by teaching the bassline by itself, and then from there add a few layers of spice & flourish. This includes some percussive techniques you can use to add flair, but also includes adding full chord shapes and some fills to transition between each chord. In the end, this results in a very satisfying array of exercises you can dive into and have fun with. Great for warming up! I hope you enjoy.
- 0:00 Playthrough & overview
- 2:10 Chord shapes needed
- 4:42 Exercise 1: Simple bassline
- 7:27 Exercise 2: Adding full chord shapes
- 10:27 Exercise 3: Adding fills (easier)
- 13:48 Exercise 4: Adding fills (advanced)
- 16:45 Farewell
The song this exercise is based on
I especially recommend giving the song Señiorita a listen, as you can hear this exact bassline groove in full effect! Even if you don’t care for pop music, hearing the groove within this song is a nice way to get the rhythm established in your ear.
Enjoy this lesson? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider donating to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it). Thanks!
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Meditative Fingerpicking (Practice Log #14)
Sept 15, 2019
- Wagon Wheel (PDF) by Old Crow Medicine Show / Darius Rucker
- Latin Bassline Groove (from "Señiorita" by Shawn Mendes & Camilla Cabello)
- Plush (acoustic) by Stone Temple Pilots
Sept 6, 2019
- The Wind by Cat Stevens
Aug 30, 2019
- E Major 4-Finger Warmup Riff
Aug 24, 2019
- Peace of Mind by Tyler Childers
Aug 23, 2019
- Angel Flight by Radney Foster
Aug 17, 2019
- The Year Clayton Delaney Died (PDF) by Tom T. Hall
Aug 16, 2019
- California Dreamin' by Jose Feliciano
Aug 10, 2019
- We Are The Champions (PDF) by Queen
Aug 8, 2019
- 2-finger chords in the key of C
Aug 2, 2019
- On the Road Again (PDF) by Willie Nelson
July 31, 2019
- Surf Rider (from "Pulp Fiction") by The Lively Ones
July 24, 2019
- Fingerpicking C-G-Am-F (Vampire Weekend's "Hold You Now")
July 16, 2019
- You've Got a Friend in Me (fingerstyle intro)
July 5, 2019
- Ring finger barre strength exercise
June 26, 2019
Monthly email updates
If you want to keep posted of new lessons over email, sign up for my newsletter. I'll email once a month with a digest of all my new videos. I promise: no spam.