Get the PDF chord sheet (2 pages)
- Support me on Patreon.com to get access to this and 200+ other PDF chord sheets I've made, plus new PDFs I make going forward (1-2 added each week).
- The cost is $3/month (one month minimum, cancel anytime). Here's a free sample if you're on the fence. Thanks for supporting me & this project!
After clicking the button and logging in to Patreon, look for the PDF attached to the bottom of the post.
In this video, I’ll show you how to play an acoustic version of “Light On” by Maggie Rogers - including chords, tabs for the intro, and a few strumming patterns. Here’s some suggested acoustic versions of this song for you to check out, performed by Maggie Rogers and her guitarist.
Amazing acoustic version by Maggie Rogers
via La Blogothèque – Live in Paris
Lyrics w/ chords
* capo 2nd fret INTRO E ––0––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E ––0––|––––––––––––––– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––0––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– x1 G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– x1 G ––2––|––2–2––2–2––2–– x2 D ––2––|––––––––––––––– D ––0––|––––––––––––––– D ––3––|––––––––––––––– A ––3––|––––––––––––––– A ––2––|––––––––––––––– A –––––|––––––––––––––– E –––––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E –––––|––––––––––––––– C G Fmaj7 VERSE C Would you believe me now... G Fmaj7 If I told you I got caught up in a wave, almost gave it away C Would you hear me out... G Fmaj7 If I told you I was terrified for days, thought I was gonna break PRE-CHORUS Am G Oh, I couldn't stop it, tried to slow it all down Fmaj7 Crying in the bathroom, had to figure it out Am G Fmaj7 With everyone around me saying, "You must be so happy now" CHORUS C G Oh, if you keep reaching out, then I'll keep coming back Fmaj7 And if you're gone for good, then I'm okay with that Am G Em Fmaj7 ...If you leave the light on, then I'll leave the light on C And do you believe me now G Fmaj7 That I always had the best intentions, babe? Always wanted to stay... C Can you feel me now G Fmaj7 That I'm vulnerable in oh-so many ways? Oh, and I'll never change Am G Oh, I couldn't stop it, tried to figure it out Fmaj7 But everything kept moving, and the noise got too loud Am G With everyone around me saying, "you should be so happy now" [chorus] Am G Fadd9 ...Oh, leave the light on Am G Fadd9 ...Oh, would you leave the light on [chorus]
Chord shapes used
E –––0––––3––––0––––0––––0––– B –––1––––3––––1––––1––––0––– G –––0––––0––––2––––2––––0––– D –––2––––0––––3––––2––––2––– A –––3––––2–––––––––0––––2––– E ––––––––3––––––––––––––0––– C G Fmaj7 Am Em
Intro tab, easiest version
The easiest way to approach this is to put your hands in the chord shapes below, and simply remove & add your left index finger to the 1st fret of the 2nd string.
E ––0––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E ––0––|––––––––––––––– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––0––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– <== left index finger G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– G ––2––|––2–2––2–2––2–– used on this string for D ––2––|––––––––––––––– D ––0––|––––––––––––––– D ––3––|––––––––––––––– the on/off melody note A ––3––|––––––––––––––– A ––2––|––––––––––––––– A –––––|––––––––––––––– on all 3 chords E –––––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E –––––|––––––––––––––– C G Fmaj7
Intro tab, advanced
Here’s the full tab, with the pulsing bass notes.
E ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– B –––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0–––––––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0–––––––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0–––––––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0––––– G –––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0–––––––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0–––––––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0–––––––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0––––– D ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– A –3–––––––––––3–––––––3–––––––3––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– E –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––3–––––––––––3–––––––3–––––––3–––1–––––––––––1–––––––1–––––––1–––1–––––––––––1–––––––1–––––––1––– C G Fmaj7 Fmaj7 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a
Here’s the timing chart I used when training my fingers to play their parts independently. I practice this by rhythmically knocking my right-hand thumb and index/middle fingers against a table (or steering wheel, or my pants, etc) until I could do the pattern without thinking about it. Then, I translated it to guitar (with my left hand doing the fretting and chord changes). It was hard, but I got it. If you want to learn this, have patience!
Melody rhythm => | O 0 O O 0 | O = index finger on | 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a | 0 = index finger off Thumb rhythm => | x x x x |
Best videos of this song
This is my favorite. Solo acoustic guitar, all shot in one live take, her friends singing the chorus as a group. Released the week before her first album goes out into the world. So happy for her.
There’s also her SNL performance which I’ll include for fun. Less acoustic, but still good I think:
And finally, here’s the Spotify Singles version of this song, which has a great acoustic vibe:
Thanks for reading! I hope this helped you.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- G-chord finger position guide
Oct 25, 2020 • Lesson #334
- Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Oct 23, 2020 • Lesson #65
- Father and Son by Cat Stevens
Oct 18, 2020 • Lesson #333
- Layla by Eric Clapton (acoustic)
Oct 11, 2020 • Lesson #103
- Tennessee Whiskey by Chris Stapleton
Oct 9, 2020 • Lesson #331
- Norwegian Wood by The Beatles
Oct 4, 2020 • Lesson #169
- Sultans of Swing (chorus lick) by Dire Straits
Oct 3, 2020 • Lesson #174
- Surrender (acoustic) by Cheap Trick
Sep 27, 2020 • Lesson #330
- Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash
Sep 25, 2020 • Lesson #134
- Welcome to Paradise by Tyler Childers / Green Day
Sep 19, 2020 • Lesson #322
- Betty by Taylor Swift
Sep 17, 2020 • Lesson #321
- Rapid-fire Q&A: Up-strums, tricky rhythms, muting with your thumb, and more
Sep 13, 2020 • Lesson #329
- Old Man by Neil Young
Sep 12, 2020 • Lesson #328
- 2-finger Blues in Drop-D Tuning
Sep 6, 2020 • Lesson #163
- Learning the intro riff to "Old Man" by Neil Young
Sep 5, 2020 • Lesson #326
- Learnin' to Fly by Tom Petty
Aug 29, 2020 • Lesson #108