Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Lyrics w/ chords
* capo 2nd fret INTRO E ––0––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E ––0––|––––––––––––––– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––0––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– x1 G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– x1 G ––2––|––2–2––2–2––2–– x2 D ––2––|––––––––––––––– D ––0––|––––––––––––––– D ––3––|––––––––––––––– A ––3––|––––––––––––––– A ––2––|––––––––––––––– A –––––|––––––––––––––– E –––––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E –––––|––––––––––––––– C G Fmaj7 VERSE C Would you believe me now... G Fmaj7 If I told you I got caught up in a wave, almost gave it away C Would you hear me out... G Fmaj7 If I told you I was terrified for days, thought I was gonna break PRE-CHORUS Am G Oh, I couldn't stop it, tried to slow it all down Fmaj7 Crying in the bathroom, had to figure it out Am G Fmaj7 With everyone around me saying, "You must be so happy now" CHORUS C G Oh, if you keep reaching out, then I'll keep coming back Fmaj7 And if you're gone for good, then I'm okay with that Am G Em Fmaj7 ...If you leave the light on, then I'll leave the light on C And do you believe me now G Fmaj7 That I always had the best intentions, babe? Always wanted to stay... C Can you feel me now G Fmaj7 That I'm vulnerable in oh-so many ways? Oh, and I'll never change Am G Oh, I couldn't stop it, tried to figure it out Fmaj7 But everything kept moving, and the noise got too loud Am G With everyone around me saying, "you should be so happy now" [chorus] Am G Fadd9 ...Oh, leave the light on Am G Fadd9 ...Oh, would you leave the light on [chorus]
Chord shapes used
E –––0––––3––––0––––0––––0––– B –––1––––3––––1––––1––––0––– G –––0––––0––––2––––2––––0––– D –––2––––0––––3––––2––––2––– A –––3––––2–––––––––0––––2––– E ––––––––3––––––––––––––0––– C G Fmaj7 Am Em
Intro tab, easiest version
The easiest way to approach this is to put your hands in the chord shapes below, and simply remove & add your left index finger to the 1st fret of the 2nd string.
E ––0––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E ––0––|––––––––––––––– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––0––|––1–0––1–1––0–– B ––1––|––1–0––1–1––0–– <== left index finger G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– G ––0––|––0–0––0–0––0–– G ––2––|––2–2––2–2––2–– used on this string for D ––2––|––––––––––––––– D ––0––|––––––––––––––– D ––3––|––––––––––––––– the on/off melody note A ––3––|––––––––––––––– A ––2––|––––––––––––––– A –––––|––––––––––––––– on all 3 chords E –––––|––––––––––––––– E ––3––|––––––––––––––– E –––––|––––––––––––––– C G Fmaj7
Intro tab, advanced
Here’s the full tab, with the pulsing bass notes.
E ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– B –––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0–––––––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0–––––––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0–––––––––1–––––0–––––1–––––1–––0––––– G –––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0–––––––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0–––––––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0–––––––––0–––––0–––––0–––––0–––0––––– D ––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– A –3–––––––––––3–––––––3–––––––3––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––– E –––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––3–––––––––––3–––––––3–––––––3–––1–––––––––––1–––––––1–––––––1–––1–––––––––––1–––––––1–––––––1––– C G Fmaj7 Fmaj7 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a
Here’s the timing chart I used when training my fingers to play their parts independently. I practice this by rhythmically knocking my right-hand thumb and index/middle fingers against a table (or steering wheel, or my pants, etc) until I could do the pattern without thinking about it. Then, I translated it to guitar (with my left hand doing the fretting and chord changes). It was hard, but I got it. If you want to learn this, have patience!
Melody rhythm => | O 0 O O 0 | O = index finger on | 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a | 0 = index finger off Thumb rhythm => | x x x x |
Best videos of this song
This is my favorite. Solo acoustic guitar, all shot in one live take, her friends singing the chorus as a group. Released the week before her first album goes out into the world. So happy for her.
There’s also her SNL performance which I’ll include for fun. Less acoustic, but still good I think:
And finally, here’s the Spotify Singles version of this song, which has a great acoustic vibe:
Thanks for reading! I hope this helped you.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Summertime by Billy Strings / Doc Watson
Aug 1, 2020 • Lesson #279
- Riffs with Circular Bass Lines
July 25, 2020 • Lesson #314
- Happy Birthday triad exercise (Key of G)
July 23, 2020 • Lesson #312
- 3 ways to silence strings with your left hand
July 18, 2020 • Lesson #311
- Keep the Wolves Away by Uncle Lucius
July 10, 2020 • Lesson #310
- Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles / Carole King
July 4, 2020 • Lesson #309
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
June 28, 2020 • Lesson #308
- Mr. Bojangles by Jerry Jeff Walker
June 21, 2020 • Lesson #307
- Willin' by Little Feat
June 13, 2020 • Lesson #306
- My Church by Maren Morris
June 7, 2020 • Lesson #305
- Pull-off Exercise (Key of C)
June 6, 2020 • Lesson #304
- Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (fingerstyle) by Bob Dylan
May 30, 2020 • Lesson #303
- Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (strum version) by Bob Dylan
May 24, 2020 • Lesson #301
- Travis Picking vs. Normal Fingerstyle
May 16, 2020 • Lesson #302
- Which guitar pick I use
May 9, 2020 • Lesson #300
- I've Just Seen a Face (intro riff) by The Beatles
May 8, 2020 • Lesson #299
- I've Just Seen a Face (full song) by The Beatles
May 4, 2020 • Lesson #298
- Country Bass Line Exercise in 6/8 Time
Apr 26, 2020 • Lesson #297
- Under the Milky Way by The Church
Apr 19, 2020 • Lesson #296
- Hello in There (intro riff) by John Prine
Apr 12, 2020 • Lesson #295
- Clay Pigeons by John Prine
Apr 8, 2020 • Lesson #294
- House of the Rising Sun by The Animals (easy fingerstyle)
Mar 31, 2020 • Lesson #293
- New! Browse my lessons by category, genre, decade, and more
Mar 29, 2020 • Lesson #292