Guitar lesson for
Jenny of Oldstones
by Game of Thrones • Lesson #234
Get the PDF chord sheet (3 pages)
- Support me on Patreon.com to get access to this and 200+ other PDF chord sheets I've made, plus new PDFs I make going forward (1-2 added each week).
- The cost is $3/month (one month minimum, cancel anytime). Here's a free sample if you're on the fence. Thanks for supporting me & this project!
After clicking the button and logging in to Patreon, look for the PDF attached to the bottom of the post.
In this lesson, I want to show you how I went about creating a country guitar version (in the style of Johnny Cash) for the song “Jenny of Oldstones” – which was sung in the latest Game of Thrones episode. The song left quite an impression on me upon watching it, and I decided I’d try to work out an acoustic guitar part to match the melody. I’ll explain how I figured out the key of the song, worked out the melody, established a “home base” groove, and experimented with the bass notes within my strumming. In all, this has been a memorable song to learn – and it’s my pleasure to share with you this lesson. Enjoy!
- 0:00 Cover & lesson overview
- 2:18 Step 1: Figure out which key the song is in
- 3:14 Step 2: Use a capo to simplify the chords
- 3:42 Step 3: Tab out the melody
- 7:10 Step 4: Establish a “home base” groove
- 10:28 Step 5: Experiment with strumming
- 12:23 Step 6: Experiment with bass note patterns
- 13:23 Farewell!
Sing-along cover with lyrics
Check out my lesson for the Game of Thrones theme song
You might also like this lesson I made:
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Oct 23, 2020 • Lesson #65
- Father and Son by Cat Stevens
Oct 18, 2020 • Lesson #333
- Layla by Eric Clapton (acoustic)
Oct 11, 2020 • Lesson #103
- Tennessee Whiskey by Chris Stapleton
Oct 9, 2020 • Lesson #331
- Norwegian Wood by The Beatles
Oct 4, 2020 • Lesson #169
- Sultans of Swing (chorus lick) by Dire Straits
Oct 3, 2020 • Lesson #174
- Surrender (acoustic) by Cheap Trick
Sep 27, 2020 • Lesson #330
- Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash
Sep 25, 2020 • Lesson #134
- Welcome to Paradise by Tyler Childers / Green Day
Sep 19, 2020 • Lesson #322
- Betty by Taylor Swift
Sep 17, 2020 • Lesson #321
- Rapid-fire Q&A: Up-strums, tricky rhythms, muting with your thumb, and more
Sep 13, 2020 • Lesson #329
- Old Man by Neil Young
Sep 12, 2020 • Lesson #328
- 2-finger Blues in Drop-D Tuning
Sep 6, 2020 • Lesson #163
- Learning the intro riff to "Old Man" by Neil Young
Sep 5, 2020 • Lesson #326
- Learnin' to Fly by Tom Petty
Aug 29, 2020 • Lesson #108