Guitar lesson for
My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight
by John Prine • Lesson #238
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
Hey friends! In this lesson I’ll teach you how to play the fingerstyle introduction to “My Old Kentucky Home, Goodnight” as covered by John Prine. I’ll teach you the three chords (including the variations needed for each), explain the alternating bass notes your right thumb will need to play, talk about the hammer-ons you’ll add, and break down the fingerstyle one phrase at a time. This one took me a few weeks to get comfortable with, but patience and practice paid off – and I’m excited to share these notes with you.
- 0:00 Playthrough & lesson overview
- 1:34 Chord shapes needed
- 7:08 Right thumb alternating bass notes
- 9:18 Adding left-hand hammer-ons
- 12:10 Tip: break it into phrases!
- 13:58 Melody, part 1 & 2
- 19:12 Melody, parts 3 & 4
- 21:50 Farewell
If you’d like to see a lesson for the full song, please let me know – I’d like to get to it one day. Thanks and best of luck! - David Pots (May 16, 2019)
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Sedona by Houndmouth
Aug 9, 2020 • Lesson #313
- 3 ways to strum without a pick
Aug 8, 2020 • Lesson #317
- Summertime by Billy Strings / Doc Watson
Aug 1, 2020 • Lesson #279
- Riffs with Circular Bass Lines
July 25, 2020 • Lesson #314
- Happy Birthday triad exercise (Key of G)
July 23, 2020 • Lesson #312
- 3 ways to silence strings with your left hand
July 18, 2020 • Lesson #311
- Keep the Wolves Away by Uncle Lucius
July 10, 2020 • Lesson #310
- Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles / Carole King
July 4, 2020 • Lesson #309
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
June 28, 2020 • Lesson #308
- Mr. Bojangles by Jerry Jeff Walker
June 21, 2020 • Lesson #307
- Willin' by Little Feat
June 13, 2020 • Lesson #306
- My Church by Maren Morris
June 7, 2020 • Lesson #305
- Pull-off Exercise (Key of C)
June 6, 2020 • Lesson #304