Guitar lesson for
Peace of Mind
by Tyler Childers • Lesson #252
Sheet music for this song will be returning shortly!
- The sheet music for this song is temporarily unavailable while I move it over to Musicnotes.com, a sheet music service that is providing licensing for my "song" arrangements.
- Want me to priortize this song, so the sheet music is ready sooner? Click the button below and let me know – this helps me know which songs to work on next!
To learn more about my library of song sheets & instructional PDFs, click here.
Hey friends! In this lesson I’ll teach you how to play “Peace of Mind” by Tyler Childers (track 7 off his 2nd album, “Country Squire”). This is a very straightforward waltz-strumming song that only uses three chords. I’ll not only teach the chords, but explain a few ways to step-by-step get used to the 3/4-time strumming pattern – including the alternating bass note technique. I hope you enjoy! And I very highly recommend this entire album from Childers – I’ve had it on repeat. While the guitar parts don’t stand out as much as they do in his first album, his songwriting and vocals are A+ in my book.
Here’s what I cover in this lesson:
- 0:00 Playthrough & overview
- 1:14 Capo & chords
- 1:52 Strumming: waltz basics
- 4:33 Strumming: alternating bass notes (with tabs)
- 6:30 Verse
- 9:03 Chorus
- 10:06 Farewell
Lyrics w/ chords
* Capo 1st fret VERSE, PART 1 E He drinks orange juice and vodka, in the basement while she's talking E B7 To someone long distance, for hours and hours on end B7 And as he's slowly sippin', he thinks about his children B7 E And the heart attacks that youngest daughter's always giving him VERSE, PART 2 E He ain't smoked no marijuana, since he got on with the railroad E A And he's been on with the railroad, for a long and lonesome while A E But the day that he retires, he'll smoke himself to China B7 E He'll leave behind his worries, as he's racing through the sky CHORUS A E B7 E The days are dark... down in the holler... Waitin' for... the sun to shine A E B7 E On the back... you have been breakin'... tryin' to earn... peace of mind E She sells Avon to her buddies... and saves a little money E B7 On the makeup she's been using... to hide away the years B7 And she sits and watches TV... usually every evening B7 E If there ain't some kind of ballgame... that her daughter has to cheer E She sneaks menthols in the mornin'... while her family's still snorin' E A And as she burns the Eggo's... she looks back at her life A E That heart she broke in high school... he's singing on the Opry B7 E She wonders what the hell... that she was thinkin' at the time [ CHORUS ] Their [E] youngest daughter Stella... she's running with this fell That [E] he cannot stand the thought of... that he surely does de[B7]spise He's [B7] told her he best never... see the two of them together But it's [B7] hard to keep an eye on her... when you're workin' all the [E] time There are [E] things he needs to tend to... and the bills the bank keeps sendin' Lord, the [E] zeros on the end keep pushing further to the [A] right Like a [A] freight train haulin' sorrow... and [A] movin' ever onward Through the [B7] tunnel of forever... to the never endin' [E] light
Tyler Childers’ version of this song
Here’s the official version of this song, if you want to hear it:
Get my lessons in your inbox!
Every couple weeks I send out an email newsletter with links to whatever new lessons I've made. Sign up here and stay in the loop!
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 My "song" PDFs are now individually purcasheable! I've arranged a licensing agreement with Musicnotes, a service that lets you buy sheet music. Patreon suppoters get 50% off each purchase. Get the latest info here » (last updated July 1, 2021)
October 14, 2021
A quick guide to tuning all your strings down 1/2 step (E-flat tuning), which is a very common alternate tuning used in many songs.
October 2, 2021
A quick inventory of 8 different ways to play the dreaded F chord, 7 of which are easier than the dreaded six-string barred version.
September 28, 2021
A quick exercise where I share over 10 riffs based on a single arpeggio shape, using major 7th chord tones. Backing track included!
September 19, 2021
A deep dive into everything you need to know when playing in the Key of C: notes, chords, fretboard map, tips & tricks, easier ways to play the F chord, and plenty more.
September 12, 2021
A deep-dive into the common positions of the major scale, and how they each relate to the CAGED chord shapes... which makes it all easier to understand!
August 29, 2021
I recently got my 1st electric guitar, and was surprised how many things immediately confused me. Here's a quick inventory, in case it helps anyone else starting out!
Browse my all lessons
By lesson type
By song decade
By musical genre
By guitar technique
By musical key
By popular artist
- Johnny Cash
- Tyler Childers
- Tom Petty
- Neil Young
- Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Willie Nelson
- John Denver
- Guns N' Roses