Guitar lesson for
Peace of Mind
by Tyler Childers • Lesson #252
Get the PDF chord sheet (3 pages)
- Support me on Patreon.com to get access to this and 200+ other PDF chord sheets I've made, plus new PDFs I make going forward (1-2 added each week).
- The cost is $3/month (one month minimum, cancel anytime). Here's a free sample if you're on the fence. Thanks for supporting me & this project!
After clicking the button and logging in to Patreon, look for the PDF attached to the bottom of the post.
Hey friends! In this lesson I’ll teach you how to play “Peace of Mind” by Tyler Childers (track 7 off his 2nd album, “Country Squire”). This is a very straightforward waltz-strumming song that only uses three chords. I’ll not only teach the chords, but explain a few ways to step-by-step get used to the 3/4-time strumming pattern – including the alternating bass note technique. I hope you enjoy! And I very highly recommend this entire album from Childers – I’ve had it on repeat. While the guitar parts don’t stand out as much as they do in his first album, his songwriting and vocals are A+ in my book.
Here’s what I cover in this lesson:
- 0:00 Playthrough & overview
- 1:14 Capo & chords
- 1:52 Strumming: waltz basics
- 4:33 Strumming: alternating bass notes (with tabs)
- 6:30 Verse
- 9:03 Chorus
- 10:06 Farewell
Lyrics w/ chords
* Capo 1st fret VERSE, PART 1 E He drinks orange juice and vodka, in the basement while she's talking E B7 To someone long distance, for hours and hours on end B7 And as he's slowly sippin', he thinks about his children B7 E And the heart attacks that youngest daughter's always giving him VERSE, PART 2 E He ain't smoked no marijuana, since he got on with the railroad E A And he's been on with the railroad, for a long and lonesome while A E But the day that he retires, he'll smoke himself to China B7 E He'll leave behind his worries, as he's racing through the sky CHORUS A E B7 E The days are dark... down in the holler... Waitin' for... the sun to shine A E B7 E On the back... you have been breakin'... tryin' to earn... peace of mind E She sells Avon to her buddies... and saves a little money E B7 On the makeup she's been using... to hide away the years B7 And she sits and watches TV... usually every evening B7 E If there ain't some kind of ballgame... that her daughter has to cheer E She sneaks menthols in the mornin'... while her family's still snorin' E A And as she burns the Eggo's... she looks back at her life A E That heart she broke in high school... he's singing on the Opry B7 E She wonders what the hell... that she was thinkin' at the time [ CHORUS ] Their [E] youngest daughter Stella... she's running with this fell That [E] he cannot stand the thought of... that he surely does de[B7]spise He's [B7] told her he best never... see the two of them together But it's [B7] hard to keep an eye on her... when you're workin' all the [E] time There are [E] things he needs to tend to... and the bills the bank keeps sendin' Lord, the [E] zeros on the end keep pushing further to the [A] right Like a [A] freight train haulin' sorrow... and [A] movin' ever onward Through the [B7] tunnel of forever... to the never endin' [E] light
Tyler Childers’ version of this song
Here’s the official version of this song, if you want to hear it:
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Oct 23, 2020 • Lesson #65
- Father and Son by Cat Stevens
Oct 18, 2020 • Lesson #333
- Layla by Eric Clapton (acoustic)
Oct 11, 2020 • Lesson #103
- Tennessee Whiskey by Chris Stapleton
Oct 9, 2020 • Lesson #331
- Norwegian Wood by The Beatles
Oct 4, 2020 • Lesson #169
- Sultans of Swing (chorus lick) by Dire Straits
Oct 3, 2020 • Lesson #174
- Surrender (acoustic) by Cheap Trick
Sep 27, 2020 • Lesson #330
- Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash
Sep 25, 2020 • Lesson #134
- Welcome to Paradise by Tyler Childers / Green Day
Sep 19, 2020 • Lesson #322
- Betty by Taylor Swift
Sep 17, 2020 • Lesson #321
- Rapid-fire Q&A: Up-strums, tricky rhythms, muting with your thumb, and more
Sep 13, 2020 • Lesson #329
- Old Man by Neil Young
Sep 12, 2020 • Lesson #328
- 2-finger Blues in Drop-D Tuning
Sep 6, 2020 • Lesson #163
- Learning the intro riff to "Old Man" by Neil Young
Sep 5, 2020 • Lesson #326
- Learnin' to Fly by Tom Petty
Aug 29, 2020 • Lesson #108