Warm Up Exercise
4-finger magic with E major
Print-friendly chord sheet available for Patreon supporters
- Get the PDF here -- after clicking and logging in to Patreon, look for the file attached to the bottom of the post.
Supporting me on Patreon gives you access to the PDF for this as well as 150+ other lessons. One month minimum ($3, cancel anytime) gets you access to everything... here's a free sample. Thanks for supporting me and this project!
In this lesson I’ll show you one of my go-to warmup exercises from the past few years, which involves playing the E-major with the thinnest four strings – and adding flourish with your left pinky and ring finger. This takes an otherwise familiar & common chord, and mixes it up a bit: you’re getting a slight less full sound (from only playing 4 strings), but you benefit from having a few extra fingers to add meldoic flourish notes with. I’ll show it all to you: the chord shapes, the riff, the strumming, including in tab. I hope you enjoy.
- 0:00 Playthrough & overview
- 3:38 Chord shapes used
- 7:00 Chord progression & timing
- 7:48 Strumming pattern
- 8:33 4-string E-major riff
- 11:52 Full sequence w/ tab
- 12:24 Farewell
The Father John Misty song that inspired this
I should note, this is based on the background lead guitar part Father John Misty song “I’m Writing a Novel” – which is track 4 from his great album “Fear Fun”. The riff first comes in after he finishes the first verse – it’s subtle, but it’s there.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Sedona by Houndmouth
Aug 9, 2020 • Lesson #313
- 3 ways to strum without a pick
Aug 8, 2020 • Lesson #317
- Summertime by Billy Strings / Doc Watson
Aug 1, 2020 • Lesson #279
- Riffs with Circular Bass Lines
July 25, 2020 • Lesson #314
- Happy Birthday triad exercise (Key of G)
July 23, 2020 • Lesson #312
- 3 ways to silence strings with your left hand
July 18, 2020 • Lesson #311
- Keep the Wolves Away by Uncle Lucius
July 10, 2020 • Lesson #310
- Will You Love Me Tomorrow by The Shirelles / Carole King
July 4, 2020 • Lesson #309
- Stand By Me by Ben E. King
June 28, 2020 • Lesson #308
- Mr. Bojangles by Jerry Jeff Walker
June 21, 2020 • Lesson #307
- Willin' by Little Feat
June 13, 2020 • Lesson #306
- My Church by Maren Morris
June 7, 2020 • Lesson #305
- Pull-off Exercise (Key of C)
June 6, 2020 • Lesson #304