Guitar lesson for
by Cat Stevens • Lesson #254
Get the PDF chord sheet (2 pages)
- Support me on Patreon.com to get access to this and 200+ other PDF chord sheets I've made, plus new PDFs I make going forward (1-2 added each week).
- The cost is $3/month (one month minimum, cancel anytime). Here's a free sample if you're on the fence. Thanks for supporting me & this project!
After clicking the button and logging in to Patreon, look for the PDF attached to the bottom of the post.
In this lesson I’ll show & explain how to play “The Wind” by Cat Stevens, from his 1971 album Teaser and the Firecat. This is a short but fantastic Cat Stevens song, combining fingerstyle verses with strummed chorus. I’ll explain the chords, talk through the fingerpicking (main riff included), and break down the verse and chorus sections. I hope you enjoy!
- 0:00 Playthrough & overview
- 1:53 Chord shapes
- 4:29 Intro & main riff
- 12:52 Verse
- 15:47 Chorus (strummed)
- 19:55 Chorus (fingerpicked)
- 22:21 Farewell
Lyrics w/ chords
INTRO Dadd5 (repeat) => D-riff G6 A (repeat) VERSE D G6 A D (riff) G6 A ...I listen to the wind, to the wind of my soul D G6 A D (riff) G6 A ...Where I'll end up, well I think... only God really knows CHORUS G A G A D ...I've sat upon the setting sun Em G Em G A ...But never, nev---er, nev---er, never G A G A D ...I never wanted water once Em G A D (riff) G6 A ...No, never nev--er, never VERSE D G6 A D (riff) G6 A ...I listen to my words, but they fall far below D G6 A D (riff) G6 A ...I let my music take me where my heart wants to go CHORUS G A G A D ...I swam upon the devil's lake Em G Em G A ...But never, nev---er, nev---er, never G A G A D ...I'll never make the same mistake Em G A D (riff) G6 A ...No, never nev--er, never [repeat main D-G-A riff a few times, end on D]
I hope this helps. Shoot me any questions or comments in an email, I’d be happy to respond.
Enjoy my lessons? Buy me a beer!
If this and my other lessons have proven helpful to you, please consider making a one-time donation to my tip jar. Contributions of any amount help make this project possible (including the many, many hours I put into it).
Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Be sure to never miss a lesson by subscribing on YouTube. I put out 2-3 new videos every week. These include full song lessons, as well as covers, practice tips, behind-the-scenes updates. Thanks!
Recent video lessons:
📝 Print-friendly PDFs now available for all new lessons I make, including all those listed below. Get a free sample »
- Father and Son by Cat Stevens
Oct 18, 2020 • Lesson #333
- Layla by Eric Clapton (acoustic)
Oct 11, 2020 • Lesson #103
- Tennessee Whiskey by Chris Stapleton
Oct 9, 2020 • Lesson #331
- Norwegian Wood by The Beatles
Oct 4, 2020 • Lesson #169
- Sultans of Swing (chorus lick) by Dire Straits
Oct 3, 2020 • Lesson #174
- Surrender (acoustic) by Cheap Trick
Sep 27, 2020 • Lesson #330
- Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash
Sep 25, 2020 • Lesson #134
- Welcome to Paradise by Tyler Childers / Green Day
Sep 19, 2020 • Lesson #322
- Betty by Taylor Swift
Sep 17, 2020 • Lesson #321
- Rapid-fire Q&A: Up-strums, tricky rhythms, muting with your thumb, and more
Sep 13, 2020 • Lesson #329
- Old Man by Neil Young
Sep 12, 2020 • Lesson #328
- 2-finger Blues in Drop-D Tuning
Sep 6, 2020 • Lesson #163
- Learning the intro riff to "Old Man" by Neil Young
Sep 5, 2020 • Lesson #326
- Learnin' to Fly by Tom Petty
Aug 29, 2020 • Lesson #108